Cash Forward Contracting Versus Hedging Of Fed Cattle, And The Impact Of Cash Contracting On Cash Prices
AbstractThis research examines cash forward contracting of fed cattle. For an individual feeder, a cash contract eliminates basis risk (as compared to a futures hedge). However, the disadvantage is that the contract price is estimated to be lower than the futures hedge price by $.28 - $.59/ cwt for steers and $.86 - $1.64.cwt for heifers. From the industry perspective, contracting appears to have a negative impact on cash prices. An increase of 1,000 head in U.S. monthly contract cattle shipments is associated with a $.003Â—$.009/cwt decrease in the U.S. average cash price. The negative impact of cash contracting varies by state.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1992)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shah, Samarth & Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B., 2009. "Liquidity Costs in Futures Options Markets," 2009 Conference, April 20-21, 2009, St. Louis, Missouri 53047, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Chin, Ming-Chin & Weaver, Robert D., 2002. "Contracting, Signaling of Uncertain Quality, and Price Volatility?," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24790, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chin, Ming-Chin & Weaver, Robert D., 2002. "Contracting, Captive Supplies, And Price Behavior," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19052, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Coulibaly, Nouhoun & Richter, Francisca G.-C. & Bailey, DeeVon, 2001. "Feeder Cattle Price Slides," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Santiago Guerrero, 2012. "Do Agricultural Contracts Affect Grain Prices? Evidence from Mexico," Working Papers 2012-15, Banco de México.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Kastens, Terry L. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 1998. "Perceptions Of Marketing Strategies: Producers Versus Extension Economists," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B., 1999. "Agricultural Economics Research And Extension Marketing Programs: How Well Are They Integrated?," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 17(2).
- Muth, Mary K. & Liu, Yanyan & Koontz, Stephen R. & Lawrence, John D., 2008.
"Differences in Prices and Price Risk Across Alternative Marketing Arrangements Used in the Fed Cattle Industry,"
Staff General Research Papers
12904, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Muth, Mary K. & Liu, Yanyan & Koontz, Stephen R. & Lawrence, John D., 2008. "Differences in Prices and Price Risk Across Alternative Marketing Arrangements Used in the Fed Cattle Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Muth, Mary K. & Liu, Yanyan & Koontz, Stephen R. & Lawrence, John D., 2007. "Differences in Prices and Price Risk across Alternative Marketing Arrangements Used in the Fed Cattle Industry," 2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois 37578, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Xia, Tian & Sexton, Richard J., 2002. "Can Food Processors Use Contracts To Influence Farm Cash Prices? The Competitive Implications Of Top-Of-The-Market And Related Pricing Clauses," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19776, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- B. Wade Brorsen & John Coombs & Kim Anderson, 1995. "The cost of forward contracting wheat," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 349-354.
- Mar�a Bielza & Alberto Garrido & José M. Sumpsi, 2007. "Feasibility of a cash forward contract: An application to the French and Spanish potato sectors," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 245-261.
- Schmitz, John D., 1997. "Basis Convergence in Cattle Contracts Before and After Changes to Delivery Specifications," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35885, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Novak, Frank S. & Viney, Bruce, 1995. "Alternative Pricing and Delivery Strategies for Alberta Cattle Feeders," Project Report Series 24044, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Feuz, Dillon M. & Fausti, Scott W. & Wagner, John J., 1995. "Risk And Market Participant Behavior In The U.S. Slaughter-Cattle Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.