Livestock Production Policies And Meat Processing Margins: The Case Of New Zealand, 1967-1988
AbstractThe New Zealand export meat industry has been through a considerable number of changes in the 1980s. The deregulation of export slaughter facilities, Supplementary Minimum Prices, Producer Board intervention, declining livestock numbers and domestic cost pressures have all affected the performance of the domestically based processing sector. Major changes in market access and demand have influenced off-shore marketing operations, particularly for sheepmeats. Additionally, there has been a change in the type of meat exported with a greater proportion of further processed product shipped in recent years. As an example of the impact of these developments on livestock producers, the producer share of the United Kingdom wholesale market return for a representative prime lamb carcase has fallen from 40 per cent in 1978 to 25 per cent in 1988. In this article the pattern of intervention in the New Zealand pastoral meat industries from the mid-1960s is detailed, emphasising the different environments of the beef and sheepmeat enterprises. Then the principal factors influencing domestic processing margins for these products are empirically examined. Alternative model specifications and alternative estimation techniques are compared and contrasted. The results of these analyses are discussed in terms of the historical patterns of assistance and structural change, and in terms of current rationalisation pressures on the meat processing sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (1991)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Production Economics; Productivity Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grant, W. R. & Richardson, J. W. & Brorsen, B. W. & Rister, M. E., 1984. "Economic Impacts of Increased Price Variability: A Case Study with Rice," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 4.
- Griffith, Garry R. & Duff, G.L., 1989. "The Influence of Short-Run Price Variability on Sydney Pork Price Spreads: A Preliminary Analysis," 1989 Conference (33rd), February 7-9, 1989, Christchurch, New Zealand, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society 144726, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Wohlgenant, Michael K. & Mullen, John D., 1987. "Modeling The Farm-Retail Price Spread For Beef," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Hall, Lana & Schmitz, Andrew & Cothern, James, 1979. "Beef Wholesale-Retail Marketing Margins and Concentration," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 46(183), pages 295-300, August.
- Mullen, John D. & Alston, Julian M. & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 1989.
"The Impact Of Farm And Processing Research On The Australian Wool Industry,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(01), April.
- John D. Mullen & Julian M. Alston & Michael K. Wohlgenant, 1989. "The Impact Of Farm And Processing Research On The Australian Wool Industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(1), pages 32-47, 04.
- Naughtin, John C. & Quilkey, John J., 1979. "Pricing Efficiency In The Retail Meat Market," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 23(01), April.
- Ted C. Schroeder, 1988. "Price linkages between wholesale and retail pork cuts," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(4), pages 359-369.
- Griffith, Garry R. & Moore, Walter B., 1990. "Processing and Marketing Margins for Lamb, Mutton and Beef in New Zealand," 1990 Conference (34th), February 13-15, 1990, Brisbane, Australia, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society 145124, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.