Modeling The Farm-Retail Price Spread For Beef
AbstractA new model for the farm-retail price spread, which accounts for both farm supply and retail demand changes, is introduced. This model is applied to beef, and its empirical performance relative to the markup pricing formulation is evaluated using nonnested testing procedures. The results are consistent with theory and indicate the markup pricing model is misspecified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1987)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Demand and Price Analysis; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1982. "Recursive stability analysis of linear regression relationships: An exploratory methodology," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 31-76, May.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1984.
"Parameter Stability And The U.S. Demand For Beef,"
Western Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(02), December.
- Ashley, R & Granger, C W J & Schmalensee, R, 1980. "Advertising and Aggregate Consumption: An Analysis of Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1149-67, July.
- Godfrey, L. G. & Pesaran, M. H., 1983. "Tests of non-nested regression models: Small sample adjustments and Monte Carlo evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 133-154, January.
- Colin-Castillo, Sergio & Capps, Oral, Jr. & Hernandez, Manuel A., 2012.
"Do Marketing Margins Change with Food Scares? Examining the Effects of Food Recalls and Disease Outbreaks in the U.S. Red Meat Industry,"
2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington
124966, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Oral Capps Jr. & Sergio Colin‐Castillo & Manuel A. Hernandez, 2013. "Do Marketing Margins Change with Food Scares? Examining the Effects of Food Recalls and Disease Outbreaks in the U.S. Red Meat Industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(4), pages 426-454, 09.
- Hernandez, Manuel & Colin-Castillo, Sergio & Capps, Oral, Jr., 2011. "Do marketing margins change with food scares?: Examining the effects of food recalls and disease outbreaks in the us red meat industry," IFPRI discussion papers 1104, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Li, Chenguang & Sexton, Richard J., 2013. "Grocery-Retailer Pricing Behavior with Implications for Farmer Welfare," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng & Randy, Stringer & Wendy, Umberger, 2009. "Farm-retail price spread for pork in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 14532, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Traub, Lulama Ndibongo & Jayne, Thomas S., 2004. "The Effects of Market Reform on Maize Marketing Margins in South Africa," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54570, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Griffith, Garry R. & Moore, Walter B., 1991. "Livestock Production Policies And Meat Processing Margins: The Case Of New Zealand, 1967-1988," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 35(01), April.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng, 2009. "Symmetry in farm-retail price transmission: pork in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 16693, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Romain & Maurice Doyon & Mathieu Frigon, 2002. "Effects of state regulations on marketing margins and price transmission asymmetry: Evidence from the New York City and upstate New York fluid milk markets," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 301-315.
- Traub, Lulama Ndibongo & Jayne, T.S., 2008. "The effects of price deregulation on maize marketing margins in South Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 224-236, June.
- Faminow, Merle D. & Laubscher, J. M., 1991. "Empirical testing of alternative price spread models in the South African maize market," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(1), October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.