Local water markets for irrigation in southern Spain: A multicriteria approach
AbstractSpanish authorities have recently approved a new legislative framework for the creation of local water markets to improve allocative efficiency for this scarce resource. This paper analyses the potential impacts of the policy. A utility function for three groups of farmers was elicited, using a method that does not require interaction with the decision‐makers. Utility was measured as a function of the first two moments of the distribution of total gross margin. The utility functions were then used to simulate farmers' responses to changes in the price of water.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 46 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fisher Anthony & Fullerton David & Hatch Nile & Reinelt Peter, 1995. "Alternatives for Managing Drought: A Comparative Cost Analysis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 304-320, November.
- Hamal, K.B. & Anderson, Jock R., 1982.
"A Note On Decreasing Absolute Risk Aversion Among Farmers In Nepal,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 26(03), December.
- K.B. Hamal & Jock R. Anderson, 1982. "A Note On Decreasing Absolute Risk Aversion Among Farmers In Nepal," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 26(3), pages 220-225, December.
- Booker J. F. & Young R. A., 1994. "Modeling Intrastate and Interstate Markets for Colorado River Water Resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 66-87, January.
- Hurwicz, Leonid, 1973. "The Design of Mechanisms for Resource Allocation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 1-30, May.
- Barry T. Coyle, 1999. "Risk Aversion and Yield Uncertainty in Duality Models of Production: A Mean-Variance Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 553-567.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-30, June.
- Qureshi, M. E. & Harrison, S. R. & Wegener, M. K., 1999. "Validation of multicriteria analysis models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 105-116, November.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Hatch, Roy E. & Harman, Wyatte L. & Eidman, Vernon R., 1974. "Incorporating Multiple Goals Into The Decision-Making Process: A Simulation Approach To Firm Growth Analysis," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 6(01), July.
- Becker, Nir, 1995. "Value of moving from central planning to a market system: lessons from the Israeli water sector," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 11-21, April.
- Manuel Arriaza & José Antonio Gómez-Limón Rodríguez, 2006. "El futuro del algodón en Andalucía tras la reforma del régimen de apoyo al cultivo," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 3, pages 13-46.
- Saraiva, Joao Paulo & Pinheiro, Antonio Cipriano, 2007. "A Multi-Criteria Approach for Irrigation Water Management," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(1), January.
- André, Francisco J. & Herrero, Inés & Riesgo, Laura, 2010. "A modified DEA model to estimate the importance of objectives with an application to agricultural economics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 371-382, October.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Berbel, Julio & Arriaza Balmon, Manuel, 2005. "MCDM Farm System Analysis for Public Management of Irrigated Agriculture," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24676, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Julia Martín Ortega & Carlos Gutiérrez Martín & Julio Berbel Vecino, 2008. "Caracterización de los usos del agua en la Demarcación del Guadalquivir en aplicación de la Directiva Marco de Aguas," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 1, pages 45-76.
- Pujol, Joan & Raggi, Meri & Viaggi, Davide, 2006. "The potential impact of markets for irrigation water in Italy and Spain: a comparison of two study areas," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(3), September.
- José A. Gómez-Limón & Yolanda Martínez Martínez, 2004. "Multicriteria Modelling of Irrigation Water Market at Basin Level," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/26, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Francisco J. André & Inés Herrero & Laura Riesgo, 2007. "Using a modified DEA model to estimate the importance of objectives. An application to agricultural economics," Working Papers 07.09, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Francisco J. André & Inés Herrero & Laura Riesgo, 2004. "Using DEA to estimate the importance of objectives for decision makers," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/50, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Riesgo, Laura & Arriaza Balmon, Manuel, 2003.
"Multi-Criteria Analysis Of Factors Use Level: The Case Of Water For Irrigation,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25836, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- José A. Gómez-Limón & Laura Riesgo & Manuel Arriaza, 2003. "Multi-Criteria Analysis of Factors Use Level: The Case of Water for Irrigation," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/18, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Riesgo, Laura, 2004. "Irrigation water pricing: differential impacts on irrigated farms," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 47-66, July.
- Arriaza Balmon, Manuel & Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Gonzalez, Jose & Ruiz, Pedro, 2006. "Viability of the Raw Cotton Production in Spain After the Decoupling of the Subsidies," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25445, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Basil Manos & Thomas Bournaris & Mohd Kamruzzaman & Moss Begum & Ara Anjuman & Jason Papathanasiou, 2006. "Regional Impact of Irrigation Water Pricing in Greece under Alternative Scenarios of European Policy: A Multicriteria Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(9), pages 1055-1068.
- Manos, Basil & Begum, Moss. Anjuman Ara & Kamruzzaman, Mohd. & Nakou, Ioanna & Papathanasiou, Jason, 2007. "Fertilizer price policy, the environment and farms behavior," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 87-97.
- Blanco-Gutiérrez, Irene & Varela-Ortega, Consuelo & Flichman, Guillermo, 2011. "Cost-effectiveness of groundwater conservation measures: A multi-level analysis with policy implications," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 98(4), pages 639-652, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.