Risk Management Programs In Extension
AbstractThe evolution of Cooperative Extension Service techniques used to teach decision making in a risk environment is examined. Interviews of selected Cooperative Extension economists indicate that research methods used to evaluate and describe risk are more complex than those used in extension programs. Research is an essential component of the development and implementation of extension programs. Because most producers have some understanding of risk, and many use financial strategies to manage risk, and important product of risk research has been educating extension economists and researchers. When developing risk management programs, it is stressed that Â“"simplicity is powerful."Â”
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1996)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Risk and Uncertainty; Teaching/Communication/Extension/Profession;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Meyer, Jack, 1977. "Choice among distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 326-336, April.
- Buschena, David E. & Zilberman, David, 1994. "What Do We Know About Decision Making Under Risk And Where Do We Go From Here?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Todd H. Kuethe & Mitch Morehart, 2012. "The profit impacts of risk management tool adoption," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 104-116, March.
- Good, Darrel L. & Irwin, Scott H. & Martines-Filho, Joao & Hagedorn, Lewis A., 2005. "The Pricing Performance of Market Advisory Services in Corn and Soybeans over 1995-2003," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14775, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B., 1999. "Agricultural Economics Research And Extension Marketing Programs: How Well Are They Integrated?," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 17(2).
- Bastian, Christopher T. & Nagler, Amy M. & Hewlett, John P. & Weigel, Randolph R., 2006. "Risk Management for Ag Families: An Extension Model for Improving Family Business Success," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21352, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Selley, Roger A. & Wilson, Paul N., 1997. "Risk Research And Public Outreach: A Tale Of Two Cultures?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Zhang, Tong & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2006. "Heterogeneity in Producer's Marketing Strategy," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35299, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Zhang, Tong & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2008. "Price Competition with Particle Swarm Optimization: An Agent-Based Artificial Model," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6780, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- McNew, Kevin & Musser, Wesley N., 2000. "Evidence Of Farmer Forward Pricing Behavior," Working Papers 28568, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Isengildina, Olga & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2004. "Crop Farmers’ Use of Market Advisory Services," AgMAS Project Research Reports 37489, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Bharat M. Upadhyay & Douglas L. Young, 2005. "An Operational Approach for Evaluating Investment Risk: An Application to the No-Till Transition," Working Papers 2005-1, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Pennings, Joost M.E. & Isengildina, Olga & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2004. "The Impact of Market Advisory Service Recommendations on Producers' Marketing Decisions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), August.
- Bharat M. Upadhyay & Douglas L. Young, 2004. "An Operational Approach For Evaluating Investment Risk: An Application To The No-Till Transition," Others 0412002, EconWPA.
- Coble, Keith H. & Barnett, Barry J., 1999. "The Role Of Research In Producer Risk Management," Professional Papers 15803, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Pennings, Joost M.E. & Isengildina, Olga & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2004. "The Impact Of Marketing Advisory Service Recommendations On Producers' Marketing Decisions," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20389, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Kastens, Terry L. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 1998. "Perceptions Of Marketing Strategies: Producers Versus Extension Economists," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L. & Martines-Filho, Joao & Batts, Ryan M., 2006. "The Pricing Performance of Market Advisory Services in Corn and Soybeans Over 1995-2004," AgMAS Project Research Reports 37513, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.