The profit impacts of risk management tool adoption
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of this paper is to measure the profit impacts of adopting input and output risk management tools at the farm level. Design/methodology/approach – The analysis examines three years of farm-level data from the Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS) that include detailed questions on the adoption of risk management tools. Propensity score matching is used to control for the endogeneity of adoption decisions, and the profit impacts are estimated based on the matched dataset. Findings – The adoption of input price risk management tools improves farm-level profits by 13-17 percent. Originality/value – This is the first paper which examines the profit impacts of risk management tools while controlling for the endogeneity of adoption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Agricultural Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 72 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nivens, Heather D. & Kastens, Terry L. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2002. "Payoffs To Farm Management: How Important Is Crop Marketing?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Andrea Pufahl & Christoph R. Weiss, 2009. "Evaluating the effects of farm programmes: results from propensity score matching," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 79-101, March.
- Tomek, William G. & Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa, 2000.
"Risk Management In Agricultural Markets: A Survey,"
2000 Producer marketing and Risk Management Conference, January 13-14, Orlando, FL
19580, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Perry, Janet E. & Mishra, Ashok K., 1999. "Forward Contracting Of Inputs: A Farm-Level Analysis," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 17(2).
- Pennings, Joost M.E. & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2001. "Modeling Farmers' Use of Market Advisory Services," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18950, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Ani L. Katchova & Mario J. Miranda, 2004. "Two-Step Econometric Estimation of Farm Characteristics Affecting Marketing Contract Decisions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 88-102.
- Katchova, Ani L., 2008.
"Agricultural Contracts and Alternative Marketing Options: A Matching Analysis,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6336, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Katchova, Ani L., 2010. "Agricultural Contracts and Alternative Marketing Options: A Matching Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 42(02), May.
- Anderson, Kim B. & Mapp, Harry P., Jr., 1996. "Risk Management Programs In Extension," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Gilligan, Daniel O. & Hoddinott, John, 2006.
"Is there persistence in the impact of emergency food aid? Evidence on consumption, food security, and assets in rural Ethiopia,"
FCND discussion papers
209, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Daniel O. Gilligan & John Hoddinott, 2007. "Is There Persistence in the Impact of Emergency Food Aid? Evidence on Consumption, Food Security, and Assets in Rural Ethiopia," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), pages 225-242.
- Haydu, John J. & Myers, Robert J. & Thompson, Stanley R., 1992. "Why Do Farmers Forward Contract In Factor Markets?," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Harrison, R. Wes & Bobst, Barry W. & Benson, Fred J. & Meyer, Lee, 1996. "Analysis Of The Risk Management Properties Of Grazing Contracts Versus Futures And Option Contracts," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
- Lori Lynch & Xiangping Liu, 2007. "Impact of Designated Preservation Areas on Rate of Preservation and Rate of Conversion: Preliminary Evidence," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1205-1210.
- Hubbs, Todd & Kuethe, Todd H. & Ebel, Robert M. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 2012. "Should Farmers Use Futures and Options? A Pseudo-Experimental Analysis," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124822, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.