Using a modified DEA model to estimate the importance of objectives. An application to agricultural economics
AbstractThis paper shows a connection between Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) and the methodology proposed by Sumpsi et al. (1997) to estimate the weights of objectives for decision makers in a multiple attribute approach. This connection gives rise to a modified DEA model that allows to estimate not only efficiency measures but also preference weights by radially projecting each unit onto a linear combination of the elements of the payoff matrix (which is obtained by standard multicriteria methods). For users of Multiple Attribute Decision Analysis the basic contribution of this paper is a new interpretation of the methodology by Sumpsi et al. (1997) in terms of efficiency. We also propose a modified procedure to calculate an efficient payoff matrix and a procedure to estimate weights through a radial projection rather than a distance minimization. For DEA users, we provide a modified DEA procedure to calculate preference weights and efficiency measures which does not depend on any observations in the dataset. This methodology has been applied to an agricultural case study in Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 07.09.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Multicriteria Decision Making; Goal Programming; Weights; Preferences; Data Envelopment Analysis.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-05-26 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2007-05-26 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scheel, Holger, 2001. "Undesirable outputs in efficiency valuations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 400-410, July.
- Cary, John W. & Holmes, Bill, 1982. "Relationships Among Farmers' Goals And Farm Adjustment Strategies: Some Empirics Of A Multidimensional Approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 26(02), August.
- Francisco, Sergio R. & Ali, Mubarik, 2006. "Resource allocation tradeoffs in Manila's peri-urban vegetable production systems: An application of multiple objective programming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 147-168, February.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Martinez, Yolanda, 2006. "Multi-criteria modelling of irrigation water market at basin level: A Spanish case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 313-336, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Joyce Willock & Ian J. Deary & Gareth Edwards-Jones & Gavin J. Gibson & Murray J. McGregor & Alistair Sutherland & J. Barry Dent & Oliver Morgan & Robert Grieve, 1999. "The Role of Attitudes and Objectives in Farmer Decision Making: Business and Environmentally-Oriented Behaviour in Scotland," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 286-303.
- Berbel, J. & Rodriguez-Ocana, A., 1998. "An MCDM approach to production analysis: An application to irrigated farms in Southern Spain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 108-118, May.
- Solano, C. & Leon, H. & Perez, E. & Herrero, M., 2001. "Characterising objective profiles of Costa Rican dairy farmers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 153-179, March.
- Smith, Donnie & Capstick, Daniel F., 1976. "Establishing Priorities Among Multiple Management Goals," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 8(02), December.
- Qureshi, M. E. & Harrison, S. R. & Wegener, M. K., 1999. "Validation of multicriteria analysis models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 105-116, November.
- P. Korhonen, 1998. "Multiple Objective Programming Support," Working Papers ir98010, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Arriaza Balmon, Manuel & Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Upton, Martin, 2002. "Local water markets for irrigation in southern Spain: A multicriteria approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(1), March.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- Sumpsi, JoseMaria & Amador, Francisco & Romero, Carlos, 1997. "On farmers' objectives: A multi-criteria approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 64-71, January.
- Doyle, J & Green, R, 1993. "Data envelopment analysis and multiple criteria decision making," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 713-715, November.
- Stewart, TJ, 1994. "Data envelopment analysis and multiple criteria decision making: A response," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 205-206, March.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Jyrki Wallenius, 1998. "Structural Comparison of Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple Objective Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 962-970, July.
- Gomez-Limon, J. A. & Berbel, J., 2000. "Multicriteria analysis of derived water demand functions: a Spanish case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 49-72, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.