Identification by full adjustment: evidence from the relationship between futures and spot prices
AbstractThis paper proposes a test for orthogonality of the errors in a vector error-correction model (VECM) that focuses on the recursive ordering among the contemporaneously correlated errors. The test is based on the fact that when the frequency of the data is sufficiently low one of the variables in the long-run equilibrium relationship adjusts fully within the same period to its new equilibrium level. An empirical investigation of the relationship between spot and futures prices for commodities traded on the Amsterdam Exchanges and the Chicago Board of Trade reveals that the spot price adjusts fully to its new equilibrium level if the price-discovery function of the futures market works well. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economies.
Volume (Year): 29 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lucia BALDI & Massimo PERI & Daniela VANDONE, 2011.
"Spot and future prices of agricultural commodities: fundamentals and speculation,"
Departmental Working Papers
2011-03, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Baldi, Lucia & Peri, Massimo & Vandone, Daniela, 2011. "Spot and Futures Prices of Agricultural Commodities: Fundamentals and Speculation," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122002, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Mar�a Bielza & Alberto Garrido & José M. Sumpsi, 2007. "Feasibility of a cash forward contract: An application to the French and Spanish potato sectors," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 245-261.
- Baldi, Lucia & Peri, Massimo & Vandone, Daniela, 2011. "Price Discovery in Agricultural Commodities: The Shifting Relationship Between Spot and Future Prices," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114237, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kuwornu, John K.M. & Kuiper, W. Erno & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Meulenberg, Matthew T.G., 2006. "Risk Management Using Futures Contracts: The Impact of Spot Market Contracts and Production Horizons on the Optimal Hedge Ratio," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7755, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kuwornu, John K.M. & Kuiper, W. Erno & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Meulenberg, Matthew T.G., 2006. "Strategic Interactions, Risks and Coordination Costs in Food Marketing Channels: The Mediating Role of Futures Markets," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7740, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.