Estimating strategic price response in a product-differentiated oligopoly: The case of a domestic canned fruit industry
AbstractIn this article, we empirically estimate the strategic price response in a domestic canned fruit industry using national-level, weekly point-of-purchase scanner data. Augmented Dickey-Fuller tests are used to obtain univariate time series properties of Del Monte and Dole's canned pineapple prices. Johansen's likelihood ratio cointegration test is used to characterize the existence of an industry pricing equilibrium. Vector autoregression and vector error correction models are employed to examine the multivariate time series properties of the two firms' prices. Granger causality tests are used to address the price leadership hypothesis, while impulse response functions are constructed to chronicle the intertemporal price response to an innovation in a rival's price series. The battery of tests indicates that Del Monte follows Dole's pricing decisions in this narrowly defined product market. A thorough understanding of empirical price reactions has far-reaching strategic management implications, such as forecasting a rival's response and avoiding costly price wars. [L110, L200, L660] © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kinsey, Jean D. & Senauer, Benjamin, 1997. "Food Marketing in an Electronic Age: Implications for Agriculture," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 12(2).
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1992.
"Computing Markov Perfect Nash Equilibria: Numerical Implications of a Dynamic Differentiated Product Model,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1994. "Computing Markov-Perfect Nash Equilibria: Numerical Implications of a Dynamic Differentiated Product Model," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(4), pages 555-589, Winter.
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1992. "Computing Markov perfect Nash equilibria: numerical implications of a dynamic differentiated product model," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 58, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1999.
"Estimating Coke and Pepsi's price and advertising strategies,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt6rf8j6m4, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 2000. "Estimating Coke's and Pepsi's Price and Advertising Strategies," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 398-409, October.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S. & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1998. "Estimating Coke and Pepsi's Price and Advertising Strategies," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt18b1q4kr, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 1994. "Scanner Data: New Opportunities For Demand And Competitive Strategy Analysis," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(2), October.
- David A. Bessler & Derya G. Akleman, 1998. "Farm Prices, Retail Prices, and Directed Graphs: Results for Pork and Beef," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1144-1149.
- Thor, Eric, III & Bailey, DeeVon & Silvac, Alejandro R. & Vickner, Steven S., 2007. "Economic Analysis of Incentives for Foreign Direct Investment in Beef Systems in Argentina and Uruguay," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 10(03).
- Steven S. Vickner & Stephen P. Davies, 2002. "Estimating strategic price response using cointegration analysis: The case of the domestic black and herbal tea industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 131-144.
- Raper, Kellie Curry & Thornsbury, Suzanne & Aguilar, Cristobal, 2009. "Regional Wholesale Price Relationships in the Presence of Counter-Seasonal Imports," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 41(01), April.
- Marcin Pracz & Rod Tyers, 2006.
"Strategic Interaction amongst Australia’s East Coast Ports,"
ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics
2006-471, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Flavio M. Menezes & Marcin Pracz & Rod Tyers, 2007. "Strategic Interaction amongst Australia's East Coast Ports," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 40(3), pages 267-278, 09.
- Mohamad F. Hasan & Michael R. Reed & Mary A. Marchant, 2001. "Effects of an Export Tax on Competitiveness: The Case of the Indonesian Palm Oil Industry," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 77-90, December.
- Gomez, Miguel I. & Koerner, Julia, 2009. "Do retail coffee prices increase faster than they fall? Asymmetric price transmission in France, Germany and the United States," Working Papers 55930, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Gomez, Miguel I. & Castillo, Mauricio, 2001. "Structural Change, Rents Transferring And Market Power In The International Coffee Market: A Time Series Analysis," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20441, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.