The analysis of competitive interdependencies through Social Network Analysis: the case study of extra-virgin olive oil
AbstractThis paper aims to analyze, utilizing scanner data, the relationships of competitive interdependency in the extra-virgin olive oil sector in Italy. One of the most important aspects of the competitiveness analysis is the concept of competitive interdependency, as the competitive performances of a product depend upon the number of competitors on the same shop shelf. The «Social Network Analysis» (SNA) has been applied to investigate these interdependencies by elaborating extra-virgin olive oil sales data from a national level survey. The SNA methodology has provided a useful tool to analyse the competitive relationships between each selected extra-virgin olive oil brand and the others on the same shop shelf. The conclusions aim to discuss the results of the study, which has provided useful information about high quality Italian olive oil segments, and to evaluate future opportunities and actual limits of this new methodology to approach the analysis of competitive brand networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 40411.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Social Network Analysis (SNA); extra-virgin olive oil market; competitiveness;
Other versions of this item:
- Marchini, Andrea & Diotallevi, Francesco & Fioriti, Linda, 2011. "The analysis of competitive interdependencies through “Social Network Analysis”: the case study of extra-virgin olive oil," MPRA Paper 41468, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-HME-2012-08-23 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2012-08-23 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gian Paolo Cesaretti & Debora Scarpato, 2010. "Qualità alimentare e competitività di sistema," ECONOMIA AGRO-ALIMENTARE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 12(1), pages 7-28.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.