Factors Affecting U.S. Demand For Reduced-Fat Fluid Milk
AbstractU.S. fluid milk consumption has changed dramatically since the early 1970s. Whole milk accounted for over 81% of commercial fluid milk disappearance in 1970. By 1993, this percentage was less than 39%. A three-equation fluid milk demand system is estimated for fluid milks that vary by fat content. The household panel data set used includes over 4,300 households that recorded fluid milk purchased for at-home consumption over a 12-month period. Given that many of these households did not consume one or more of the three milk types, the econometric model explicitly incorporates the censored nature of these commodity demands. Own- and cross-price and substitution estimated along with effects of household demographic characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1996)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Blundell, Richard & Meghir, Costas, 1987. "Bivariate alternatives to the Tobit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 179-200.
- Wales, T. J. & Woodland, A. D., 1983. "Estimation of consumer demand systems with binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 263-285, April.
- Gould, Brian W. & Lin, Huei Chin, 1994. "Nutrition Information And Household Dietary Fat Intake," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Chiang, J. & Lee, L-F., 1990.
"Discrete/Continuous Models of Consumer Demand with Binding Non-Negativity Constraints,"
261, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Chiang, Jeongwen & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1992. "Discrete/continuous models of consumer demand with binding nonnegativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 79-93.
- Jorgenson, Dale W, 1990. "Aggregate Consumer Behavior and the Measurement of Social Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(5), pages 1007-40, September.
- X. M. Gao & Thomas Spreen, 1994. "A Microeconometric Analysis of the U.S. Meat Demand," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 42(3), pages 397-412, November.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M, 1986. "Microeconometric Demand Systems with Binding Nonnegativity Constraints: The Dual Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1237-42, September.
- Rebecca L. O. Cleary & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 2007.
"Is Wal-Mart Good for Competition? Evidence from Milk Prices,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
101, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Cleary, Rebecca & Lopez, Rigoberto, 2007. "Is Wal-Mart Good for Competition? Evidence from Milk Prices," Research Reports 149207, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Choi, Hee Jung & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 2012. "Demand Analysis of Fluid Milk with Different Attributes," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124746, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dharmasena, Senarath & Capps, Oral, Jr., 2009. "Demand Interrelationships of At-Home Nonalcoholic Beverage Consumption in the United States," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49443, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Cihat Günden & Abdulbaki Bilgic & Bülent Miran & Bahri Karli, 2011. "A censored system of demand analysis to unpacked and prepackaged milk consumption in Turkey," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(6), pages 1273-1290, October.
- Green, Geoffrey M. & Park, John L., 1998. "New Insights Into Supermarket Promotions Via Scanner Data Analysis: The Case Of Milk," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(3), November.
- Stewart, Hayden & Dong, Diansheng & Carlson, Andrea, 2012. "Is Generational Change Contributing to the Decline in Fluid Milk Consumption?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(3), December.
- Davis, Christopher G. & Dong, Diansheng & Blayney, Donald P. & Yen, Steven T. & Stillman, Richard, 2012. "U.S. Fluid Milk Demand: A Disaggregated Approach," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 15(1).
- Vassilopoulos, Achilleas & Klonaris, Stathis & Drichoutis, Andreas C. & Lazaridis, Panagiotis, 2012. "Modeling quality demand with data from Household Budget Surveys: An application to meat and fish products in Greece," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2744-2750.
- Dong, Diansheng & Gould, Brian W., 2007.
"Product Quality and the Demand for Food: The Case of Urban China,"
China's Agricultural Trade: Issues and Prospects Symposium, July 2007, Beijing, China
55030, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Gould, Brian W. & Dong, Diansheng, 2004. "Product Quality And The Demand For Food: The Case Of Urban China," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20010, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Davis, Christopher G. & Blayney, Donald P. & Cooper, Joseph C. & Yen, Steven T., 2009. "An Analysis of Demand Elasticities for Fluid Milk Products in the U.S," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51791, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abdulfatah Sheikhbihi Adam & Sinne Smed, 2012. "The effects of different types of taxes on soft-drink consumption," IFRO Working Paper 2012/9, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics, revised Nov 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.