Identifying The Effects Of Generic Advertising On The Household Demand For Fluid Milk And Cheese: A Two-Step Panel Data Approach
AbstractA two-step model with sample selection is applied to panel data of U.S. households to estimate at-home demand for fluid milk and cheese, incorporating advertising expenditures. The model consistently accounts for sample-selection bias, unobserved household heterogeneity, and temporal correlation. Generic advertising programs for fluid milk and cheese were effective at increasing conditional purchase quantities, with very little effect on the probability of purchase. In contrast to aggregate studies, the long-run generic advertising elasticities for cheese were larger than for those of fluid milk. Advertising response varied considerably across sub-product classes, while branded advertising expenditures were largely insignificant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Demand and Price Analysis; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diansheng Dong & J.S. Shonkwiler & Oral Capps, 1998. "Estimation of Demand Functions Using Cross-Sectional Household Data: The Problem Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 466-473.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Liu, Donald J. & Kaiser, Harry M. & Forker, Olan D. & Mount, Timothy D., 1990. "An Economic Analysis Of The U.S. Generic Dairy Advertising Program Using An Industry Model," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 19(1), April.
- Charlier, Erwin & Melenberg, Bertrand & van Soest, Arthur, 2000.
"Estimation of a censored regression panel data model using conditional moment restrictions efficiently,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 25-56, March.
- Charlier, G.W.P. & Melenberg, B. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1995. "Estimation of a censored regression panel data model using conditional moment restrictions efficiently," Discussion Paper 1995-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ward, Ronald W. & Moon, Wanki & Medina, Sara, 2001. "Measuring The Impact Of Generic Promotions Of U.S. Beef: An Application Of Double-Hurdle And Time Series Models," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(04).
- Gould, Brian W. & Dong, Diansheng, 2000. "The Decision Of When To Buy A Frequently Purchased Good: A Multi-Period Probit Model," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
- John Lenz & Harry M. Kaiser & Chanjin Chung, 1998. "Economic analysis of generic milk advertising impacts on markets in New York State," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 73-83.
- Boehm, William T., 1975. "The Household Demand For Major Dairy Products In The Southern Region," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(02), December.
- Pedro A. Alviola & Oral Capps, 2010. "Household demand analysis of organic and conventional fluid milk in the United States based on the 2004 Nielsen Homescan panel," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(3), pages 369-388.
- Davis, Christopher G. & Blayney, Donald P. & Cooper, Joseph C. & Yen, Steven T., 2009. "An Analysis of Demand Elasticities for Fluid Milk Products in the U.S," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51791, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cihat Günden & Abdulbaki Bilgic & Bülent Miran & Bahri Karli, 2011. "A censored system of demand analysis to unpacked and prepackaged milk consumption in Turkey," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(6), pages 1273-1290, October.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Chung, Chanjin & Kaiser, Harry M., 2006.
"The Dairy Case Management Program: Does It Mooove More Milk?,"
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(2).
- Schmit, Todd M. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2004. "The Dairy Case Management Program: Does It Mooove More Milk?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20317, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Stewart, Hayden & Dong, Diansheng & Carlson, Andrea, 2012. "Is Generational Change Contributing to the Decline in Fluid Milk Consumption?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(3), December.
- Bouhlal, Yasser & Capps, Oral Jr. & Ishdorj, Ariun, 2013. "Estimating the Censored Demand for U.S. Cheese Varieties Using Panel Data: Impact of Economic and Demographic Factors," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151298, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Davis, Christopher G. & Dong, Diansheng & Blayney, Donald P. & Yen, Steven T. & Stillman, Richard, 2012. "U.S. Fluid Milk Demand: A Disaggregated Approach," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 15(1).
- Steven T. Yen & Biing-Hwan Lin & David M. Smallwood & Margaret Andrews, 2004. "Demand for nonalcoholic beverages: The case of low-income households," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 309-321.
- Gulgun Yildiz Tiryaki & Cuma Akbay, 2010. "Consumers’ fluid milk consumption behaviors in TURKEY: an application of multinomial logit model," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 87-98, January.
- Newton, John & Thraen, Cameron S. & Bozic, Marin, 2013. "Whither Dairy Policy? Evaluating Expected Government Outlays and Distributional Impacts of Alternative 2013 Farm Bill Dairy Title Proposals," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 153750, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.