Modeling corner solutions with panel data: Application to the industrial energy demand in France
AbstractThis paper provides an empirical application of Lee and Pitt’s (1986) approach to the problem of corner solutions in the case of panel data. This model deals with corner solutions in a manner consistent with the firm behavior theory while controlling for unobserved heterogeneity. In this model, energy demand at industrial plant level is the result of a discrete choice of the type of the energy to be consumed and a continuous choice that defines the level of demand. The econometric model is, essentially, an endogenous switching regime model which requires the evaluation of multivariate probability integrals. We estimate the random effect model by maximum likelihood using a panel of industrial French plants from the paper and pulp industry. We calculate empirical price elasticities of energy demand from the model. We also study the effects on energy demand of an environmental policy aimed at reducing CO 2 emissions. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Bousquet, Alain & Chakir, Raja & Ladoux, Norbert, 2003. "Modeling Corner Solutions with Panel Data: Application to the Industrial Energy Demand in France," IDEI Working Papers 230, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 225-38, January.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M., 1987.
"Microeconometric Models of Rationing, Imperfect Markets, and Non-Negativity Constraints,"
7470, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M., 1987. "Microeconometric models of rationing, imperfect markets, and non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 89-110.
- C. Gourieroux & Jean-Jacques Laffont & A. Monfort, 1979.
"Coherency Conditions In Simultaneous Linear Equation Models With Endogenous Switching Regimes,"
NBER Working Papers
0343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourieroux, C & Laffont, J J & Monfort, A, 1980. "Coherency Conditions in Simultaneous Linear Equation Models with Endogenous Switching Regimes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 675-95, April.
- Bousquet, Alain & Ivaldi, Marc, 1998.
"An individual choice model of energy mix,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 263-286, September.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Van Soest, Arthur & Kooreman, Peter, 1990. "Coherency of the indirect translog demand system with binding nonnegativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 391-400, June.
- Thomas Bue Bjorner & Henrik Holm Jensen, 2002. "Interfuel Substitution within Industrial Companies: An Analysis Based on Panel Data at Company Level," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 27-50.
- Alan D. Woodland, 1993. "A Micro-Econometric Analysis of the Industrial Demand for Energy in NSW," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 57-90.
- Nerlove,Marc, 2002. "Essays in Panel Data Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521815345, October.
- Nerlove,Marc, 2005. "Essays in Panel Data Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521022460, October.
- Rosario Crinò, 2009.
"Service Offshoring and White-Collar Employment,"
391, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Rosario Crinò, 2009. "Service Offshoring and White-Collar Employment," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 775.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Rosario Crinò, 2007. "Service Offshoring and White-Collar Employment," CESifo Working Paper Series 2040, CESifo Group Munich.
- Millimet, Daniel L. & Tchernis, Rusty, 2008. "Estimating high-dimensional demand systems in the presence of many binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 384-395, December.
- Rosario Crino, 2006. "Are U.S. White-Collar Really at Risk of Service Offshoring?," KITeS Working Papers 183, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Oct 2006.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.