Effects of an Export Tax on Competitiveness: The Case of the Indonesian Palm Oil Industry
AbstractThis research analyzes the dynamic effects of an export tax on export performance of the Indonesian palm oil industry using time series analysis. The vector autoregressive model results show exports fell dramatically with the imposition of the tax. This research showed that the imposition of an export tax has long-lasting, negative effects on competitiveness of the Indonesian palm oil industry. The variance decomposition reveals that more than 83% of the variation in the forecast error of the net export shares is explained by its own shock, and 8.6% and 8.4% are explained by export tax and relative export prices, respectively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 26 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven S. Vickner & Stephen P. Davies, 2000. "Estimating strategic price response in a product-differentiated oligopoly: The case of a domestic canned fruit industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 125-140.
- Thomas, Marcelle & Orden, David, 2004. "Agricultural policies in Indonesia," MTID discussion papers 78, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Olga Solleder, 2013. "Panel Export Taxes (PET) Dataset: New Data on Export Tax Rates," IHEID Working Papers 07-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 04 Apr 2013.
- BouÃ«t, Antoine & Estrades, Carmen & Laborde Debucquet, David, 2012.
"Differential export taxes along the oilseeds value chain:: A partial equilibrium analysis,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1236, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Antoine Bouet & Carmen Estrades & David Laborde, 2013. "Differential export taxes along the oilseeds value chain: a partial equilibrium analysis," Working Papers hal-00780574, HAL.
- Rifin, Amzul & Nauly, Dahlia, 2013. "The Effect of Export Tax on Indonesia’s Cocoa Export Competitiveness," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152175, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.