Estimating Coke's and Pepsi's Price and Advertising Strategies
AbstractA Semiparametric, information-based estimator is used to estimate strategies in prices and advertising for Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola. Separate strategies for each firm are estimated with and without restrictions from game theory. These information/entropy estimators are consistent and efficient. These estimates are used to test theories about the strategies of firms and to see how changes in incomes or factor prices affect these strategies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S. & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1998. "Estimating Coke and Pepsi's Price and Advertising Strategies," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt18b1q4kr, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1999. "Estimating Coke and Pepsi's price and advertising strategies," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6rf8j6m4, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"An Empirical Analysis Of Dynamic, Non-Price Competition In An Oligopolistic Industry,"
3-88-14, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988. "An Empirical Analysis of Dynamic, Nonprice Competition in an Oligopolistic Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(2), pages 200-220, Summer.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gasmi, F & Laffont, J J & Vuong, Q, 1992.
"Econometric Analysis of Collusive Behavior in a Soft-Drink Market,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 277-311, Summer.
- Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Vuong, Quang, 1992. "Econometric Analysis of Collusive Behavior in a Soft Drink Market," IDEI Working Papers 16, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Kooreman, Peter, 1994. "Estimation of Econometric Models of Some Discrete Games," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 255-68, July-Sept.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Reiss, Peter C., 1991. "Empirical models of discrete games," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1-2), pages 57-81.
- Kooreman, P., 1994. "Estimation of econometric models of some discrete games," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-377584, Tilburg University.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Gasmi, F. & Vuong, Q.H., 1988. "An Econometric Analysis Of Some Duopolistic Games In Prices And Advertising," Papers m8903, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Gary M. Erickson, 1992. "Empirical Analysis of Closed-Loop Duopoly Advertising Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(12), pages 1732-1749, December.
- Karp, Larry S & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1989. "Dynamic Oligopoly in the Rice Export Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 462-70, August.
- Horrace, William & Huang, Rui & Perloff, Jeffrey, 2009.
"Variety: Consumer Choice and Optimal Diversity,"
149942, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Dhar, Tirtha Pratim & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cotterill, Ronald W. & Gould, Brian W., 2002.
"An Econometric Analysis of Brand Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca Cola and Pepsi Inc,"
25231, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Tirtha Pratim Dhar & Jean-Paul Chavas & Ronald W. Cotterill & Brian W. Gould, 2002. "An Econometric Analysis of Brand Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca Cola and Pepsi Inc," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 065, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Wang, Shinn-Shyr & Stiegert, Kyle W. & Dhar, Tirtha P., 2006.
"Strategic Pricing Behavior under Asset Value Maximization,"
Staff Paper Series
495, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Shinn-Shyr Wang & Kyle W. Stiegert & Tirtha P. Dhar, 2010. "Strategic Pricing Behavior under Asset Value Maximization," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 58(2), pages 151-170, 06.
- Wang, Shinn-Shyr & Stiegert, Kyle W. & Dhar, Tirtha Pratim, 2005. "Strategic Pricing Behavior under Asset Value Maximization," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19198, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Steven S. Vickner & Stephen P. Davies, 2000. "Estimating strategic price response in a product-differentiated oligopoly: The case of a domestic canned fruit industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 125-140.
- Wang, Yafeng & Graham, Brett, 2009. "Generalized Maximum Entropy estimation of discrete sequential move games of perfect information," MPRA Paper 21331, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.