Investigating Dynamic Multifirm Market Interactions in Price and Advertising
AbstractDiagnosing the nature and magnitude of competitive interactions among firms is important for developing effective marketing strategies. In this paper, we formulate a game-theoretic model of firm interaction to analyze the dynamic price and advertising competition among firms in a given product market. Firm (or brand) level demand functions account for the contemporaneous and carry-over effects of these marketing activities, and also allow for the effects of competitor actions. Firms take into consideration the actions of their rivals, as well as their own demand and cost functions (both production and advertising) when determining the profit-maximizing price and advertising levels. Our formulation enables us to quantify not only the direction and magnitude of competitive reactions, but also to identify the underlying form of market conduct that generates the particular pattern of interaction. We specify and estimate a fully structural econometric model for three firms constituting a distinct sub-market within a personal-care product category. We estimate the demand and competitive interaction parameters, as well as the production and advertising cost functions for each firm. We then derive implications for competitive interactions and market structure. Interestingly, we find that while firms seem to compete on advertising, they price cooperatively, thereby enhancing their price-cost margins.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
competitive interactions; marketing mix; econometric estimation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goddard, Ellen W. & Freebairn, John W. & Griffith, Garry R., 2003. "Issues in evaluating generic promotion in the food chain," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57871, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 2006. "Firm-Level Competition in Price and Variety," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Wang, Shinn-Shyr & Stiegert, Kyle W. & Dhar, Tirtha P., 2006.
"Strategic Pricing Behavior under Asset Value Maximization,"
Staff Paper Series
495, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Shinn-Shyr Wang & Kyle W. Stiegert & Tirtha P. Dhar, 2010. "Strategic Pricing Behavior under Asset Value Maximization," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 58(2), pages 151-170, 06.
- Wang, Shinn-Shyr & Stiegert, Kyle W. & Dhar, Tirtha Pratim, 2005. "Strategic Pricing Behavior under Asset Value Maximization," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19198, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Karray, Salma & Martín-Herrán, Guiomar, 2009. "A dynamic model for advertising and pricing competition between national and store brands," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 451-467, March.
- Richards, Timothy J., 2004. "Price and Product-Line Rivalry Among Supermarket Retailers," Working Papers 28535, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management.
- Lu, Jye-Chyi & Tsao, Yu-Chung & Charoensiriwath, Chayakrit, 2011. "Competition under manufacturer service and retail price," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1256-1264, May.
- Choi, Sungchul & Fredj, Karima, 2013. "Price competition and store competition: Store brands vs. national brand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(1), pages 166-178.
- Jean-Pierre Dubé & Günter Hitsch & Puneet Manchanda, 2005. "An Empirical Model of Advertising Dynamics," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 107-144, June.
- Chih-Jen Wang & Ying-Ju Chen & Chi-Cheng Wu, 2011. "Advertising competition and industry channel structure," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 79-99, March.
- Nair, Anil & Selover, David D., 2012. "A study of competitive dynamics," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 355-361.
- Marinelli, Carlo, 2007. "The stochastic goodwill problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 389-404, January.
- W. Erno Kuiper & Matthew T.G. Meulenberg, 2002. "Vertical price leadership: A cointegration analysis," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 317-331.
- Lu, Jye-Chyi & Tsao, Yu-Chung & Charoensiriwath, Chayakrit & Dong, Ming, 2012. "Dynamic decision-making in a two-stage supply chain with repeated transactions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 211-225.
- Sheng, Li, 2010. "Competing or cooperating to host mega events: A simple model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 375-379, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.