How Competitive Is The World Wheat Market?
AbstractJapan is one of the largest importers of wheat in the world, with imports originating from three countries, Australia, Canada, and the United States. Australia, Canada, and Japan all use a government single-desk agency to control wheat trade. Many previous studies on competition in the world grain trade have argued the market is imperfectly competitive, and they often point to the Japanese market. We study the Japanese wheat import market for this reason, but find no compelling evidence of imperfect competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics in its series Working Papers with number 11973.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
wheat trade; competition; Crop Production/Industries; International Relations/Trade; F14; L10; Q17;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999.
"Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995. "Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets," NBER Working Papers 5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Sampson, Gary P & Snape, Richard H, 1980. "Effects of the EEC's Variable Import Levies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 1026-40, October.
- Carter, Colin A & MacLaren, Donald, 1997. "Price or Quantity Competition? Oligopolistic Structures in International Commodity Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 373-85, August.
- Karp, Larry S & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1989. "Dynamic Oligopoly in the Rice Export Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 462-70, August.
- Baker, Jonathan B. & Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1988. "Estimating the residual demand curve facing a single firm," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 283-300.
- Song, Baohui & Marchant, Mary A. & Xu, Shuang, 2006. "Who Dominates Market Power for U.S.-China Soybean Trade?," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35407, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Koichi Yamaura, 2011. "Market Power of The Japanese Non-GM Soybean Import Market: The U.S. Exporters vs. Japanese Importers," Asian Journal of Agriculture and rural Development, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(2), pages 80-89, December.
- Jin, Hyun Joung, 2008. "A Long Memory Conditional Variance Model for International Grain Markets," Journal of Rural Development/Nongchon-Gyeongje, Korea Rural Economic Institute, vol. 31(2), May.
- Stiegert, Kyle W. & Wang, Shinn-Shyr, 2003. "Imperfect Competition And Strategic Trade Theory: What Have We Learned," Working Papers 14589, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Zhang, Qiang & Reed, Michael R. & Saghaian, Sayed H., 2007. "Export Market Pricing Decisions and Market Power in World Grain Markets: A Duopoly Model for Soybeans," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34949, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Cho, Guedae & Jin, Hyun Joung & Koo, Won W., 2002. "Measuring The Market Power Of The U.S. Wheat Exporters In Asian Countries: An Issue About Adjustment Of Nominal Exchange Rate When Using As A Cost Shifter; The Competitiveness Of The U.S. Wheat Export," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19885, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pan, Suwen & Hudson, Darren & Ethridge, Don E., 2009. "The Influence Of Market Structure On The Impacts Of Domestic Subsidies On International Cotton Marekts," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51196, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.