Modeling Phased Reduction of Distortionary Policies in the U.S. Wheat Market Under Alternative Macroeconomic Environments
AbstractThroughout much of the developed world, macroeconomic policies afforded a unique period of macroeconomic stability in the two decades following World War II. As a result, concern regarding the macroeconomic linkages with food and agricultural systems largely disappeared. In the early 1970s, with the major changes in monetary policies and central bank behavior, macroeconomic linkages were once again recognized as prime factors complicating the performance of the agricultural and food systems. The roller coaster ride that agriculture experienced over the 1970s and 1980s has been significantly influenced by macroeconomic and international linkages (Rausser et al., 1966). Agriculture's prosperous condition in the 1970s was followed by a recession in the 1980s. This more recent history stands in sharp contrast to the basic stability of the 1950s and 1960s. It is also important to recall that this roller coaster experience of the 1970s and 1980s is not unprecedented. For example, the period from 1900 through 1950 is surprisingly similar to the 1970s; and the late 1920s through the 1930s have some basic characteristics of the 1980s.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 502.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- B. Stephen Labson & Gordon C. Rausser, 1992. "Modeling Phased Reduction of Distortionary Policies in the U.S. Wheat Market under Alternative Macroeconomic Environments," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 90-gatt11, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- B. Stephen Labson & Gordon C. Rausser, 1992. "Modeling Phased Reduction of Distortionary Policies in the U.S. Wheat Market under Alternative Macroeconomic Environments," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 90-gatt11, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.