Generalized Maximum Entropy estimation of discrete sequential move games of perfect information
AbstractWe propose a data-constrained generalized maximum entropy (GME) estimator for discrete sequential move games of perfect information which can be easily implemented on optimization software with high-level interfaces such as GAMS. Unlike most other work on the estimation of complete information games, the method we proposed is data constrained and does not require simulation and normal distribution of random preference shocks. We formulate the GME estimation as a (convex) mixed-integer nonlinear optimization problem (MINLP) which is well developed over the last few years. The model is identified with only weak scale and location normalizations, monte carlo evidence demonstrates that the estimator can perform well in moderately size samples. As an application, we study the social security acceptance decisions in dual career households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 21331.
Date of creation: 20 Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Game-Theoretic Econometric Models; Sequential-Move Game; Generalized Maximum Entropy; Mixed-Integer Nonlinear Programming;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-03-28 (Econometrics)
- NEP-GTH-2010-03-28 (Game Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Che‐Lin Su & Kenneth L. Judd, 2012.
"Constrained Optimization Approaches to Estimation of Structural Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 80(5), pages 2213-2230, 09.
- Che-Lin Su & Kenneth L. Judd, 2008. "Constrainted Optimization Approaches to Estimation of Structural Models," Discussion Papers 1460, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bajari, Patrick & Hong, Han & Krainer, John & Nekipelov, Denis, 2010.
"Estimating Static Models of Strategic Interactions,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 28(4), pages 469-482.
- Berry, Steven T, 1992. "Estimation of a Model of Entry in the Airline Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 889-917, July.
- Horowitz, J.L., 1995. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Working Papers 95-10, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Philip A. Haile & Ali Hortacsu & Grigory Kosenok, 2004.
"On the Empirical Content of Quantal Response Equilibrium,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm421, Yale School of Management.
- Philip A. Haile & Ali Horta�su & Grigory Kosenok, 2008. "On the Empirical Content of Quantal Response Equilibrium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 180-200, March.
- Philip A. Haile & Ali Hortacsu & Grigory Kosenok, 2003. "On the Empirical Content of Quantal Response Equilibrium," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000215, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Philip A. Haile & Ali Hortacsu & Grigory Kosenok, 2003. "On the Empirical Content of Quantal Response Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1432, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Philip A. Haile & Ali Hortacsu & Grigory Kosenok, 0820. "On the Empirical Content of Quantal Response Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1432R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jun 0820.
- Philip A. Haile & Ali Hortacsu & Grigory Kosenok, 2006. "On the Empirical Content of Quantal Response Equilibrium," Working Papers w0076, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996.
"Bootstrap Methods for Median Regression Models,"
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1990. "Entry in Monopoly Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 531-53, October.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George & Perloff, Jeffrey, 1997. "Estimation and inference with censored and ordered multinomial response data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 23-51, July.
- R. Carter Hill & Randall C. Campbell, . "Maximum Entropy Estimation in Economic Models with Linear Inequality Restrictions," Departmental Working Papers 2001-11, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1995-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael J. Mazzeo, 2002. "Product Choice and Oligopoly Market Structure," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(2), pages 221-242, Summer.
- Ritzberger, Klaus, 2002. "Foundations of Non-Cooperative Game Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247868, Octomber.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1999.
"Estimating Coke and Pepsi's price and advertising strategies,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt6rf8j6m4, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 2000. "Estimating Coke's and Pepsi's Price and Advertising Strategies," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 398-409, October.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S. & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1998. "Estimating Coke and Pepsi's Price and Advertising Strategies," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt18b1q4kr, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Econometrics 9602009, EconWPA, revised 05 Mar 1996.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro Mira, 2004.
"Sequential Estimation Of Dynamic Discrete Games,"
- J. L. Horowitz, 1995. "Bootstrap Methods In Econometrics: Theory And Numerical Performance," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,63, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 1995. "Bootstrapping Quantile Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 105-121, February.
- Jouneau-Sion, Frederic & Torres, Olivier, 2006. "MMC techniques for limited dependent variables models: Implementation by the branch-and-bound algorithm," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 479-512, August.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2001. "The Bootstrap," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 52, pages 3159-3228 Elsevier.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Reiss, Peter C., 1991. "Empirical models of discrete games," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1-2), pages 57-81.
- Shiko Maruyama, 2009. "Estimating Sequential-move Games by a Recursive Conditioning Simulator," Discussion Papers 2009-01, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Stephen Ryan & Patrick Bajari & Han Hong, 2005.
"Identification and Estimation of Discrete Games of Complete Information,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
53, Society for Computational Economics.
- Patrick Bajari & Han Hong & Stephen Ryan, 2004. "Identification and Estimation of Discrete Games of Complete Information," NBER Technical Working Papers 0301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philipp Schmidt-Dengler, 2006. "The Timing of New Technology Adoption: The Case of MRI," 2006 Meeting Papers 3, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2009. "Hybrid and Size-Corrected Subsampling Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(3), pages 721-762, 05.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
- Martin J Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 2009.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
814577000000000225, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Wang, Yafeng & Graham, Brett, 2010. "Simulation Based Estimation of Discrete Sequential Move Games of Perfect Information," MPRA Paper 23153, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.