Prospects for Commodity Exporters
AbstractThose low-income countries that export non-agricultural commodities are in the midst of a resource transfer. It is undoubtedly the biggest opportunity for transformative development that these societies have experienced, dwarfing both aid and previous commodity booms. To get it in proportion, in 2004 commodity exports from Sub-Saharan Africa accounted for 146 billion US dollars or 28 percent of the regionâ€™s GDP, while aid amounted to 5 percent of GDP. Compared with the boom of the 1970s many more countries are beneficiaries: the push to diversify sources of supply has resulted in exploitable discoveries in places that were previously political no-go areas. Further, whereas the boom of the 1970s was conjured up by the OPEC cartel, this one is grounded in Asian growth and so is intrinsically less precarious. In this paper, the authors draw on a range of new research that provides a prognosis of prospects, a diagnostic of likely problems, and prescribes an agenda for international action. The paper is organized around these three objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE in its journal World Economics Journal.
Volume (Year): 8 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Balázs Égert, 2009.
"Dutch Disease in Former Soviet Union: Witch-Hunting,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0380, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Égert, Balázs, 2009. "Dutch disease in former Soviet Union: Witch-hunting?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 4/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Paul Collier, 2011.
"Public Capital in Resource Rich Economies: Is there a Curse?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2011-14, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Paul Collier, 2014. "Public capital in resource rich economies: is there a curse?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Paul Collier, 2012. "Public Capital in Resource Rich Economies: Is there a curse?," OxCarre Working Papers 065, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Paul Collier, 2011. "Public Capital in Resource Rich Economies: Is there a Curse?," CSAE Working Paper Series 2011-14, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Benjamin Mandel, 2011. "The dynamics and differentiation of Latin American metal exports," Staff Reports 508, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Paul Collier & Rick Van Der Ploeg & Michael Spence & Anthony J Venables, 2010.
"Managing Resource Revenues in Developing Economies,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 57(1), pages 84-118, April.
- Paul Collier & Frederick van der Ploeg & Michael Spence & Anthony J Venables, 2009. "Managing Resource Revenues in Developing Economies," OxCarre Working Papers 015, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Balazs Egert, 2013.
"Dutch Disease in the Post-Soviet Countries of Central and South-West Asia: How Contagious is it?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4186, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balázs Égert, 2013. "Dutch Disease in the Post-Soviet Countries of Central and South-West Asia: How Contagious is it?," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-10, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler, 2008. "Testing the Neocon Agenda: Democracy in resource-rich societies," OxCarre Working Papers 013, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Korhonen, Iikka & Mehrotra, Aaron, 2009. "Real Exchange Rate, Output and Oil: Case of Four Large Energy Producers," BOFIT Discussion Papers 6/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Jones).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.