The Gender Wage Gap among Young Adults in the United States: The Importance of Money versus People
AbstractUsing two single-cohort longitudinal surveys, the NLS72 and the NELS88, I investigate the impact of four noncognitive traits—self-esteem, external locus of control, the importance of money/work and the importance of people/ family—on wages and on the gender wage gap among these young workers. I find that gender differences in these noncognitive factors, especially the importance of money/work, have a modest but significant role in accounting for the gender wage gap. Methodologically, this paper proposes a correction to the Oaxaca-Blinder-Ransom decomposition that results in a truly decomposable approach compatible with the simple pooled regression that includes a gender dummy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 43 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 2012.
"Why Do Women Leave Science and Engineering?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9152, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2010. "Why Do Women Leave Science and Engineering?," NBER Working Papers 15853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2010. "Why Do Women Leave Science And Engineering?," Departmental Working Papers 2010-03, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 2012. "Why Do Women Leave Science and Engineering?," IZA Discussion Papers 6885, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2013.
"Changes in Returns to Task-Specific Skills and Gender Wage Gap,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2013-01, McMaster University.
- Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2013. "Changes in Returns to Task-Specific Skills and Gender Wage Gap," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd12-275, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Magnani, Elisabetta & Zhu, Rong, 2012. "Gender wage differentials among rural–urban migrants in China," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 779-793.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2009-22 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ronald Bachmann & Mathias Sinning, 2011.
"Decomposing the Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0305, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ronald Bachmann & Mathias Sinning, 2012. "Decomposing the Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2012-571, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Bachmann, Ronald & Sinning, Mathias, 2012. "Decomposing the Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 6362, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Le, Huong Thu & Booth, Alison L., 2010.
"Inequality in Vietnamese Urban-Rural Living Standards, 1993-2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4987, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Booth, Alison L. & Le, Huong Thu, 2010. "Inequality in Vietnamese Urban-Rural Living Standards, 1993-2006," CEPR Discussion Papers 7918, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leah Platt Boustan & William J. Collins, 2013.
"The Origins and Persistence of Black-White Differences in Women's Labor Force Participation,"
in: Human Capital in History: The American Record
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leah Platt Boustan & William J. Collins, 2013. "The Origins and Persistence of Black-White Differences in Women's Labor Force Participation," NBER Working Papers 19040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- World Bank, 2011. "Work and Family : Latin American and Caribbean Women in Search of a New Balance," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12489, The World Bank.
- Bas ter Weel & Lex Borghans & Bruce A. Weinberg, 2013. "People Skills and the Labor-Market Outcomes of Underrepresented Groups," CPB Discussion Paper 253, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Pierre Lefebvre & Philip Merrigan, 2010. "Gender Gap in Dropping out of High School: Evidence from the Canadian NLSCY Youth," Cahiers de recherche 1044, CIRPEE.
- Keese, Matthias, 2012. "Who feels constrained by high debt burdens? Subjective vs. objective measures of household debt," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 125-141.
- Sloczynski, Tymon, 2013. "Population Average Gender Effects," IZA Discussion Papers 7315, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nils Braakmann, 2009. "The Role of Psychological Traits for the Gender Gap in Full-Time Employment and Wages: Evidence from Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 162, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.