Language fluency and immigrant employment prospects: evidence from Britain's ethnic minorities
AbstractUsing data from the Fourth National Survey of Ethnic Minorities, the determinants of location-specific language capital and its impact upon the employment prospects of male and female ethnic minority immigrants in Britain are investigated. It is found that lack of English language fluency reduces average predicted employment probabilities by 20-25 percentage points. Increasing the provision of English language training directly or indirectly, by requiring immigrants to obtain UK qualifications, would go a long way to eliminating the 10% employment gap between Britain's white and ethnic minority communities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Burton, Jonathan & Nandi, Alita & Platt, Lucinda, 2008.
"Who are the UK's minority ethnic groups? Issues of identification and measurement in a longitudinal study,"
Understanding Society Working Paper Series
2008-02, Understanding Society at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Cortes, Kalena E., 2004. "Are Refugees Different from Economic Immigrants? Some Empirical Evidence on the Heterogeneity of Immigrant Groups in the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 1063, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stephen Wheatley Price & Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2004.
"Immigrant Job Search in the UK: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
197, Econometric Society.
- Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields & Stephen Wheatley Price, 2003. "Immigrant Job Search In The Uk:Evidence From Panel Data," Paul Frijters Discussion Papers 2003-2, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Frijters, Paul & Shields, Michael A. & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 2003. "Immigrant Job Search in the UK: Evidence from Panel Data," IZA Discussion Papers 902, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.