Ethnic differences in British employer-funded on and off-the-job training
AbstractThis paper highlights the lower incidence of employer-funded on and off-the-job training received by full-time ethnic minority employees in Britain. Estimates of the determinants of on and off-the-job training, obtained using trinomial logistic models, are remarkably consistent across white and ethnic minority male and female workers. At least 67% of the male ethnic training disadvantage, and over 94% of that experienced by females, cannot be explained by differences in average group characteristics. These findings raise serious questions about the effectiveness of existing equal opportunities provisions in the area of work-related training and may have adverse implications for the future occupational attainment and wages of ethnic minority employees in Britain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 6 (1999)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alan Barrett & Séamus McGuinness & Martin O’Brien & Philip O’Connell, 2013.
"Immigrants and Employer-provided Training,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 52-78, March.
- Barrett, Alan & McGuinness, Seamus & O'Brien, Martin & O'Connell, Philip J., 2009. "Immigrants and Employer-provided Training," Papers WP313, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Barrett, Alan & McGuinness, Seamus & O`Brien, Martin & O'Connell, Philip J., 2009. "Immigrants and Employer-Provided Training," IZA Discussion Papers 4425, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 1999.
"Migration, Migrants and Policy in the United Kingdom,"
IZA Discussion Papers
81, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 1998. "Migration, Migrants and Policy in the United Kingdom," CEPR Discussion Papers 1960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael A Shields & Stephen Wheatley Price, .
"The English Language Fluency and Occupational Success of Ethnic Minority Immigrant Men Living in English Metropolitan Areas,"
Discussion Papers in Public Sector Economics
99/4, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Michael A. Shields & Stephen Wheatley Price, 2002. "The English language fluency and occupational success of ethnic minority immigrant men living in English metropolitan areas," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 137-160.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.