The comovements in international stock markets: new evidence from Latin American emerging countries
AbstractWe analyse the time variations in the comovements of Latin American stock markets. Conditional correlations are estimated from the dynamic conditional correlation GARCH model. Then, Bai and Perron's (2003) structural break technique is employed to test for changing nature of market comovements. Main findings are as follows. First, the degree of cross-market comovements changed over time and has significantly increased since 1994. However, room for international diversification still remains largely possible. Second, the comovements are subjected to various regime shifts, essentially due to major economic events. Finally, stock markets move much more together in times of crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
Other versions of this item:
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Mondher Bellalah & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2008. "The Comovements In International Stock Markets: New Evidence From Latin American Emerging Countries," Working Papers halshs-00202943, HAL.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Mondher Bellalah & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2007. "The Comovements in International Stock Markets: New Evidence from Latin American Emerging Countries," Working Papers 05, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernanda G Barba & Paulo S Ceretta, 2011. "Risk transmission between Latin America stock markets and the US: impacts of the 2007/2008 Crisis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(2), pages 1025-1037.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.