Financial Deregulation And Volatility In Emerging Equity Markets
AbstractThe opening of stock markets in Asian, Latin American and other developing countries over the past decade has been widely praised, as there are many potential benefits of financial integration with the rest of the world. However, the turmoil in emerging markets since the Mexican, Asian, and Russian crises have led policy makers and investors to wonder whether greater financial openness may actually increase the volatility of stock returns. The variance of share returns has important implications for determining portfolio allocation as well as the cost of capital, and if variability rises it may counteract some of the benefits of openness. Theory on the effects of market opening on volatility has been ambiguous, and empirical work has yielded conflicting results. This paper examines the issue by testing for a larger variety of reforms than have been studied before. Moreover, the data set employed spans important episodes such as the Asian, Russian and Brazilian devaluations which have occurred since previous empirical studies were written. Results indicate that reform has a statistically significant impact in almost three fifths of the emerging markets surveyed, but more often than not, the effect is actually to raise, rather than lower the volatility of stock returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
International Finance; International Financial Markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Santis, Giorgio & imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1997.
"Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 561-579, August.
- Giorgio De Santis & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 1994. "Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2000. "Stock Market Liberalization, Economic Reform, and Emerging Market Equity Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 529-564, 04.
- Gaston Gelos & Eduardo Borensztein, 2000.
"A Panic-Prone Pack? the Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds,"
IMF Working Papers
00/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Borensztein & R. Gaston Gelos, 2003. "A Panic-Prone Pack? The Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(1), pages 3.
- Eduardo R. Borensztein & R. Gaston Gelos, 2001. "A Panic-Prone Pack? The Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds," CESifo Working Paper Series 564, CESifo Group Munich.
- Reinhart, Vincent R, 2000. "How the Machinery of International Finance Runs with Sand in Its Wheels," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 74-85, February.
- Semra Karacaer & Yusuf Volkan Topuz, 2009. "The Effect of the Change in the Exchange Rate of US Dollars on the Market Index of Developing Countries: January 2001– November 2006 Period," Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul, vol. 11(42), pages 1-18.
- Demir, Firat & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2012.
"Firm Productivity, Exchange Rate Movements, Sources of Finance and Export Orientation,"
37397, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Demir, Firat, 2014. "Firm Productivity, Exchange Rate Movements, Sources of Finance, and Export Orientation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 204-219.
- Berna Kirkulak & Çagnur Kaytmaz Balsari, 2009. "Inflation Accounting and Stock Returns: Evidence From Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE)," Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul, vol. 11(42), pages 19-34.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Mondher Bellalah & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2008.
"The Comovements In International Stock Markets: New Evidence From Latin American Emerging Countries,"
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Mondher Bellalah & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2010. "The comovements in international stock markets: new evidence from Latin American emerging countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(13), pages 1323-1328.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Mondher Bellalah & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2007. "The Comovements in International Stock Markets: New Evidence from Latin American Emerging Countries," Working Papers 05, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Duc NGUYEN, 2008. "An empirical analysis of structural changes in emerging market volatility," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(10), pages 1-10.
- Duc Khuong Nguyen & Mondher Bellalah, 2007. "Testing for Structural Breaks and Dynamic Changes in Emerging Market Volatility," Working Papers 02, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Hasan F. Baklaci, 2009. "An Empirical Examination of Bilateral Interaction Between Foreign Investors’ Trading and Returns in Turkey," Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul, vol. 11(42), pages 35-58.
- repec:bor:iserev:v:11:y:2011:i:42:p:1-18 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:10:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:bor:iserev:v:11:y:2011:i:42:p:19-34 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ghassan, Hassan B. & Alhajhoj, Hassan R., 2012.
"أثر تحرير سوق رأس المال على التذبذب في سوق الأسهم السعودي
[Effect of Capital Market Liberalization on Volatility of TASI]," MPRA Paper 54470, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2012.
- repec:bor:iserev:v:11:y:2011:i:42:p:35-58 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ghassan, Hassan B. & Alhajhoj, Hassan R., 2013.
"اختبار أثر التقلب العنقودي لمؤشر تداول باستخدام الارتباط الذاتي المدحرج
[Test of Clustering Volatility of TASI index using Rolling Auto," MPRA Paper 54630, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.