Single-peaked preferences with several commodities
AbstractWe consider the problem of allocating m commodities among n agents with single-peaked preferences. When m\geq2 and n=2 any strategy-proof and efficient solution is dictatorial. We propose an extension of the Uniform Rule that (in the two-agents case) is the only one that satisfies strategy-proofness, envy-freeness, and a weak requirement related to efficiency. Alternatively, the envy-freeness property may be replaced by weak-anonymity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 19 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: Received: 7 November 1997/Accepted: 1 August 2000
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Pablo Amorós, 1998. "- Single-Peaked Preferences With Several Commodities," Working Papers. Serie AD 1998-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomson, William, 1995.
"Population-Monotonic Solutions to the Problem of Fair Division When Preferences Are Single-Peaked,"
Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 229-46, March.
- Thomson, W., 1991. "Population-Monotonic Solutions to the Problem of Fair Division when Preferences are Single-Peaked," RCER Working Papers 302, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ching, Stephen, 1992. "A simple characterization of the uniform rule," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 57-60, September.
- Barbera, Salvador & Jackson, Matthew O. & Neme, Alejandro, 1997.
"Strategy-Proof Allotment Rules,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Thomson William, 1994. "Consistent Solutions to the Problem of Fair Division When Preferences Are Single-Peaked," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 219-245, August.
- Nir Dagan, 1996.
"A Note on Thomson's Characterizations of the Uniform Rule,"
Economic theory and game theory
003, Nir Dagan.
- Dagan, Nir, 1996. "A Note on Thomson's Characterizations of the Uniform Rule," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 255-261, April.
- Barbera, S & Masso, J & Serizawa, S, 1996.
"Strategy-Proof Voting on Compact Ranges,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
358.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Barbera Salvador & Gul Faruk & Stacchetti Ennio, 1993.
"Generalized Median Voter Schemes and Committees,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 262-289, December.
- Lin Zhou, 1990. "Inefficiency of Strategy-Proof Allocation Mechanisms in Pure Exchange Economies," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 954, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- James Schummer, 1996. "Strategy-proofness versus efficiency on restricted domains of exchange economies," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 47-56.
- Zhou, Lin, 1991. "Impossibility of Strategy-Proof Mechanisms in Economies with Pure Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 107-19, January.
- Barbera, Salvador & Masso, Jordi & Neme, Alejandro, 1997.
"Voting under Constraints,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 298-321, October.
- Schummer, J. & Thomson, W., 1996.
"Two Derivations of the Uniform Rule and an Application to Bankruptcy,"
RCER Working Papers
423, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Schummer, James & Thomson, William, 1997. "Two derivations of the uniform rule and an application to bankruptcy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 333-337, September.
- Satterthwaite, Mark A & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1981. "Strategy-Proof Allocation Mechanisms at Differentiable Points," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 587-97, October.
- Thomson, W., 1991. "Resource-Monotonic Solutions to the Problem of Fair Divosion when Preferences are Single-Peaked ," RCER Working Papers 301, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- William Thomson, 2007. "Fair Allocation Rules," RCER Working Papers 539, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Erlanson, Albin & Szwagrzak, Karol, 2014.
"Strategy-proof package assignment,"
Discussion Papers of Business and Economics
5/2014, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.