Testing the effect of an anti-dumping duty: The US salmon market
AbstractAnti-dumping measures have been increasingly common. When imposed, the measures will always reduce trade with named countries. Depending on market structure, there can also be price effects and increased imports from non-named countries. In this paper we investigate relationships between prices to obtain information about the market structure. Using only prices will in many cases be an advantage because of the greater availability of price data. An empirical example is provided using the US case against Norwegian salmon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: received: April 1999/Final version received: May 2000
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Asche, F., 1998. "Testing the Effect of an Anti-Dumping Duty: the US Salmon Market," Papers 26/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Asche, Frank, 1999. "Testing The Effect Of An Anti-Dumping Duty: The Us Salmon Market," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21714, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, James L., 1992. "Salmon Market Dynamics," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 7(1).
- George J. Stigler & Robert A. Sherwin, 1983.
"The Extent of the Market,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
31, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Kjell G. Salvanes, 1997. "Market Delineation and Demand Structure," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 139-150.
- Asche, Frank, 1997. "Dynamic Adjustment In Demand Equations," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 12(3).
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Asche, Frank, 1997. "Trade Disputes And Productivity Gains: The Curse Of Farmed Salmon Production?," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 12(1).
- Gordon, Daniel V. & Salvanes, Kjell Gunnar & Atkins, Frank, 1993. "A Fish Is a Fish Is a Fish? Testing for Market Linkages on the Paris Fish Market," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 8(4).
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Bose, Shekar & McIlgorm, Alistair, 1996. "Substitutability Among Species In The Japanese Tuna Market: A Cointegration Analysis," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 11(3).
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Henry Kinnucan & �ystein Myrland, 2005. "Effects of income growth and tariffs on the world salmon market," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1967-1978.
- Alfnes, Frode & Guttormsen, Atle G. & Steine, Gro & Kolstad, Kari, 2005. "Consumers' Willingness To Pay For The Color Of Salmon:A Choice Experiment With Real Economic Incentives," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19126, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Binh, Tu Van & D'Haese, Marijke F.C. & Speelman, Stijn & D'Haese, Luc, 2010. "The Influence of Changes in the Market Environment on Economic Production Characteristics of Pangasius Farming in the Mekong Delta (Vietnam)," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 25(4).
- Asche, Frank & Nøstbakken, Linda & Tveterås, Sigbjørn, 2009. "When will trade restrictions affect producer behavior: Oligopsony power in international trade," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2009/20, University of Stavanger.
- Helstad, Kjetil & Vassdal, Terje & Trondsen, Torbjorn & Young, James A., 2005. "Price Links between Auction and Direct Sales of Fresh and Frozen Fish in North Norway (1997Â–2003)," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 20(3).
- Henry W. Kinnucan & Øystein Myrland, 2003. "Free-rider effects of generic advertising: The case of salmon," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 315-324.
- Asche, Frank & Hannesson, Rognvaldur, 2002. "Allocation Of Fish Between Markets And Product Forms," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(3).
- Asche, Frank & Steen, Frode, 2006. "When Anti-Dumping Measures Lead to Increased Market Power: A Case Study of the European Salmon Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 5781, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.