Market Delineation and Demand Structure
AbstractThis paper addresses the relationship between the cointegration approach to market delineation and the more traditional approach of analyzing the demand structure among different products in terms of degree of substitutability. Cointegration tests for market delineation and estimation of a dynamic system of demand equations are undertaken utilizing the same data set. The data set consists of three high-quality seafood products in the European Union. The results are encouraging as the results from the two approaches are not only compatible, but are also complementary in the sense that they provide more information together than they do separately. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martin F. Quaas & Till Requate, 2013.
"Sushi or Fish Fingers? Seafood Diversity, Collapsing Fish Stocks, and Multispecies Fishery Management,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 115(2), pages 381-422, 04.
- Quaas, Martin F. & Requate, Till, 2012. "Sushi or fish fingers? Seafood diversity, collapsing fish stocks, and multi-species fishery management," Economics Working Papers 2012-03, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Jones, Keithly G. & Harvey, David J. & Hahn, William F. & Muhammad, Andrew, 2008. "U.S. Demand for Sourceâ€“Differentiated Shrimp: A Differential Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(02), August.
- Fofana, Abdulai & Jaffry, Shabbar, 2006. "Measuring Market Power in the UK Retail Salmon Industry," Working Papers 45873, Scottish Agricultural College, Land Economy Research Group.
- Toshinobu Matsuda, 2006. "Linear approximations to the quadratic almost ideal demand system," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 663-675, September.
- Rausser, Gordon & Hamilton, Stephen & Kovach, Marty & Stifter, Ryan, 2009.
"Unintended consequences: The spillover effects of common property regulations,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Hamilton, Stephen F & Kovach, Marty & Stifter, Ryan, 2008. "Unintended Consequences: The Spillover Effects of Common Property Regulations," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt74p3h0f5, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Frank Asche, 2001.
"Testing the effect of an anti-dumping duty: The US salmon market,"
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 343-355.
- Asche, F., 1998. "Testing the Effect of an Anti-Dumping Duty: the US Salmon Market," Papers 26/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Asche, Frank, 1999. "Testing The Effect Of An Anti-Dumping Duty: The Us Salmon Market," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21714, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lee, Young-Jae & Kennedy, P. Lynn, 2009. "Measurement Of Substitutability Between U.S. Domestic Catfish And Imported Fish," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46782, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Vladimír Hajko & Jaroslav Bil, 2013. "The Relevant Markets for Meat Production and Processing in the Czech Republic: Analysis of the Price Movements," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 178-197, November.
- Asche, Frank & Gordon, Daniel V. & Hannesson, Rognvaldur, 1998. "Price Founded Tests For Market Integration: Fish Markets In France," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20904, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Vinuya, Ferdinand D., 2006. "Testing for Market Integration and the Law of One Price in World Shrimp Markets," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35351, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Steen, Frode & Salvanes, Kjell G., 1999.
"Testing for market power using a dynamic oligopoly model,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 147-177, February.
- Salvanes, K.G. & Steen, F., 1995. "Testing for Market Power Using a Dynamic OLigopoly Model," Papers 13/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Fofana, Abdulai & Jaffry, Shabbar, 2006. "Measuring Market Power in the UK Retail Salmon Industry," Working Papers 45873, Scotland's Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College), Land Economy & Environment Research Group.
- Lisbeth la Cour & H. MÃ¸llgaard, 2002. "Market Domination: Tests Applied to the Danish Cement Industry," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 99-127, September.
- Fofana, Abdulai & Jaffry, Shabbar, 2008. "Measuring Oligopsony Power of UK Salmon Retailers," Working Papers 61116, Scotland's Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College), Land Economy & Environment Research Group.
- Muldoon, Geoffrey & Johnston, Bill, 2006. "Market chain analysis for the trade in live reef food fish," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139883, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Asche, Frank & Steen, Frode, 2006. "When Anti-Dumping Measures Lead to Increased Market Power: A Case Study of the European Salmon Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 5781, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Asche, Frank & Guttormsen, Atle G. & Kristofersson, Dadi & Roheim, Cathy A., 2005. "Import Demand Estimation and the Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19432, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sean Pascoe & Andy Revill, 2004. "Costs and Benefits of Bycatch Reduction Devices in European Brown Shrimp Trawl Fisheries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 27(1), pages 43-64, January.
- Ghoshray, Atanu, 2006. "Market Delineation and Price Leadership in the World Wheat Market: A Cointegration Analysis," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(2), October.
- Fofana, Abdulai & Clayton, Patty, 2003. "Demand Interaction Between Farmed Salmon And Wild Caught Fish In The United Kingdom," Miscellaneous Papers 11828, Agecon Search.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.