Long-Run Impacts of Unions on Firms: New Evidence from Financial Markets, 1961--1999
AbstractWe estimate the effect of new private-sector unionization on publicly traded firms' equity value in the United States over the 1961--1999 period using a newly assembled sample of National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) representation elections matched to stock market data. Event-study estimates show an average union effect on the equity value of the firm equivalent to $40,500 per unionized worker, an effect that takes 15 to 18 months after unionization to fully materialize, and one that could not be detected by a short-run event study. At the same time, point estimates from a regression discontinuity design--comparing the stock market impact of close union election wins to close losses--are considerably smaller and close to zero. We find a negative relationship between the cumulative abnormal returns and the vote share in support of the union, allowing us to reconcile these seemingly contradictory findings. Copyright 2012, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal The Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 127 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cuñat, Vicente & Gine, Mireia & Guadalupe, Maria, 2013.
"Say Pays! Shareholder Voice and Firm Performance,"
48489, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vicente Cuñat & Mireia Giné & Maria Guadalupe, 2013. "Say pays! Shareholder voice and firm performance," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 55406, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Vicente Cunat & Mireia Gine & Maria Guadalupe, 2013. "Say Pays! Shareholder Voice and Firm Performance," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 13-192, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- repec:cen:wpaper:14-09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maury Gittleman & Morris M. Kleiner, 2013.
"Wage Effects of Unionization and Occupational Licensing Coverage in the United States,"
464, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Maury Gittleman & Morris M. Kleiner, 2013. "Wage Effects of Unionization and Occupational Licensing Coverage in the United States," NBER Working Papers 19061, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emin Dinlersoz & Henry Hyatt & Jeremy Greenwood, 2014.
"Who do Unions Target? Unionization over the Life-Cycle of U.S. Businesses,"
Economie d'Avant Garde Research Reports
24, Economie d'Avant Garde.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Henry Hyatt & Emin Dinlersoz, 2014. "Who do Unions Target? Unionization over the Life-Cycle of U.S. Businesses," 2014 Meeting Papers 62, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Emin Dinlersoz & Jeremy Greenwood & Henry Hyatt, 2014. "Who do Unions Target? Unionization over the Life-Cycle of U.S. Businesses," NBER Working Papers 20151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emin Dinlersoz & Jeremy Greenwood & Henry Hyatt, 2014. "Who Do Unions Target? Unionization Over The Life-Cycle Of U.S. Businesses," Working Papers 14-09r, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau, revised Jun 2014.
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino & Stephani, Jens & Bellmann, Lutz, 2014. "Union Decline and the Coverage Wage Gap in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 8257, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alex Edmans & Lucius Li & Chendi Zhang, 2014. "Employee Satisfaction, Labor Market Flexibility, and Stock Returns Around The World," NBER Working Papers 20300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino & Evers, Katalin & Bellmann, Lutz, 2013.
"Indicative and Updated Estimates of the Collective Bargaining Premium in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7474, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Addison & Paulino Teixeira & Katalin Evers & Lutz Bellmann, 2014. "Indicative and Updated Estimates of the Collective Bargaining Premium in Germany," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 125-156, 01.
- Olga Kuzmina, 2013. "Operating Flexibility and Capital Structure: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Working Papers w0197, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.