Long-Run Impacts of Unions on Firms: New Evidence from Financial Markets, 1961-1999
AbstractWe estimate the effect of new unionization on firmsâ€™ equity value over the 1961-1999 period using a newly assembled sample of National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) representation elections matched to stock market data. Event-study estimates show an average union effect on the equity value of the firm equivalent to a cost of at least $40,500 per unionized worker. At the same time, point estimates from a regression-discontinuity design â€“ comparing the stock market impact of close union election wins to close losses â€“ are considerably maller and close to zero. We find a negative relationship between the cumulative abnormal returns and the vote share in support of the union, allowing us to reconcile these seemingly contradictory findings. Using the magnitudes from the analysis, we calibrate a structural â€œmedian voterâ€ model of endogenous union determination in order to conduct counterfactual policy simulations of policies that would marginally increase the ease of unionization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley in its series Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series with number qt1j93n8gj.
Date of creation: 02 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William N. Cooke, 1985. "The failure to negotiate first contracts: Determinants and policy implications," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 38(2), pages 163-178, January.
- Kim B. Clark, 1980. "The impact of unionization on productivity: A case study," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 33(4), pages 451-469, July.
- A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach & Douglas L. Miller & Doug Miller, 2009.
"Robust Inference with Multi-way Clustering,"
98, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach & Douglas L. Miller, 2006. "Robust Inference with Multi-way Clustering," NBER Technical Working Papers 0327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miller, Douglas & Cameron, A. Colin & Gelbach, Jonah, 2009. "Robust Inference with Multi-way Clustering," Working Papers 09-9, University of California at Davis, Department of Economics.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 2006.
"Geographic Spillover of Unionism,"
NBER Working Papers
12025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey, Campbell R., 1989. "Time-varying conditional covariances in tests of asset pricing models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 289-317.
- William J. Moore & Robert J. Newman, 1985. "The effects of right-to-work laws: A review of the literature," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 38(4), pages 571-585, July.
- Ashenfelter, Orley C & Card, David, 1982. "Time Series Representations of Economic Variables and Alternative Models of the Labour Market," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 761-81, Special I.
- Robert J. LALONDE & Gérard MARSCHKE & Kenneth TROSKE, 1996. "Using Longitudinal Data on Establishments to Analyze the Effects of Union Organizing Campaigns in the United States," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 155-185.
- Rose, Nancy L, 1987. "Labor Rent Sharing and Regulation: Evidence from the Trucking Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1146-78, December.
- Lee, David S., 2008. "Randomized experiments from non-random selection in U.S. House elections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 675-697, February.
- Steven G. Allen, 1985. "The Effect of Unionism on Productivity in Privately and Publicly Owned Hospitals and Nursing Homes," NBER Working Papers 1649, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark L. Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 1997.
"Managerial Decisions and Long-Term Stock Price Performance,"
CRSP working papers
453, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Mitchell, Mark L & Stafford, Erik, 2000. "Managerial Decisions and Long-Term Stock Price Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 287-329, July.
- Roni Michaely & Richard H. Thaler & Kent Womack, 1994.
"Price Reactions to Dividend Initiations and Omissions: Overreaction or Drift?,"
NBER Working Papers
4778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michaely, Roni & Thaler, Richard H & Womack, Kent L, 1995. " Price Reactions to Dividend Initiations and Omissions: Overreaction or Drift?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 573-608, June.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 1991. "Labor Unions and the Economic Performance of Unions," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number luepf, October.
- Farber, Henry S, 1978. "Individual Preferences and Union Wage Determination: The Case of the United Mine Workers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 923-42, October.
- Emek Basker, 2007.
"The Causes and Consequences of Wal-Mart's Growth,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 177-198, Summer.
- Ikenberry, David L. & Rankine, Graeme & Stice, Earl K., 1996. "What Do Stock Splits Really Signal?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 357-375, September.
- Cusatis, Patrick J. & Miles, James A. & Woolridge, J. Randall, 1993. "Restructuring through spinoffs*1: The stock market evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 293-311, June.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F, 1974. "Special Information and Insider Trading," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(3), pages 410-28, July.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Abowd, John M, 1989. "The Effect of Wage Bargains on the Stock Market Value of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 774-800, September.
- John DiNardo & David S. Lee, 2002. "The Impact of Unionization on Establishment Closure: A Regression Discontinuity Analysis of Representation Elections," NBER Working Papers 8993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Merwin W. Mitchell & Joe A. Stone, 1992. "Union effects on productivity: Evidence from western U.S. sawmills," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 135-145, October.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.