Heterogeneous firms and homogenising standards in agri-food trade: the Polish meat case
AbstractA partial equilibrium trade model with heterogeneous firms is developed and applied to the issue of compliance with the EU food standards in Polish meat production. The model parameters are estimated using a nonlinear least squares method to match the observed patterns of trade. With asymmetrically distributed productivities homogenising standards tend to increase the concentration of production and exports among the more productive and larger firms. Simulation analysis shows the trade and market structure impacts of support programmes in the context of EU accession. The simulations also highlight the importance of the substitution elasticity between varieties and effects of productivity upgrades. Oxford University Press and Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics 2010; all rights reserved. For permissions, please email email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hess, Sebastian, 2011. "Outsourcing Decisions Of Pig Producers In Baden-Württemberg," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114509, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Hess, Sebastian, 2011. "Outsourcing, Regional Trade and Specialization: An Application to in the German Pig Sector," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114537, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- van Tongeren, Frank & Beghin, John C. & Marette, Stephan, 2009.
"A Cost-Benefit Framework for the Assessment of Non-Tariff Measures in Agro-Food Trade,"
Staff General Research Papers
13146, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frank van Tongeren & John Beghin & Stéphane Marette, 2009. "A Cost-Benefit Framework for the Assessment of Non-Tariff Measures in Agro-Food Trade," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 21, OECD Publishing.
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach & Isabel Teichmann, 2012.
"The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1189-1201.
- von Schlippenbach, Vanessa & Teichmann, Isabel, 2012. "The strategic use of private quality standards in food supply chains," DICE Discussion Papers 62, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- von Schlippenbach, Vanessa & Teichmann, Isabel, 2011. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114519, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Teichmann, Isabel & von Schlippenbach, Vanessa, 2011. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116079, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach & Isabel Teichmann, 2011. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1120, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dentoni, Domenico & Menozzi, Davide & Capelli, Maria Giacinta, 2012. "Group heterogeneity and cooperation on the geographical indication regulation: The case of the “Prosciutto di Parma” Consortium," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 207-216.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Food Standards, Heterogeneous Firms and Developing Countries’ Export Performance," Working Papers 152084, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.