What Do We Know about Success and Failure of Mergers?
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade.
Volume (Year): 1 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=105724
mergers and acquisitions; event and outcome studies; concentration; competition policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fridolfsson, Sven-Olof & Stennek, Johan, 2000.
"Why Mergers Reduce Profits, and Raise Share-Prices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2357, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fridolfsson, Sven-Olof & Stennek, Johan, 1999. "Why Mergers Reduce Profits, and Raise Share Prices," Working Paper Series 511, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 03 Dec 2001.
- Baldwin,John R. & Gorecki,Paul With contributions by-Name:Caves,Richard E. With contributions by-Name:Dunne,Tim With contributions by-Name:Haltiwanger,John, 1995.
"The Dynamics of Industrial Competition,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521465618, December.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 1986.
"Profits in the Long Run,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521306935, December.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"The effects of megamergers on efficiency and prices: evidence from a bank profit function,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1996. "The Effects of Megamergers on Efficiency and Prices: Evidence from a Bank Profit Function," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Yurtoglu, B. Burcin & Zulehner, Christine, 2003.
"The effects of mergers: an international comparison,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 625-653, May.
- Klaus Gugler & Dennis C. Mueller & B. Burcin Yurtoglu & Christine Zulehner, 2001. "The Effects of Mergers: An International Comparison," CIG Working Papers FS IV 01-21, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Agrawal, Anup & Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Mandelker, Gershon N, 1992. " The Post-merger Performance of Acquiring Firms: A Re-examination of an Anomaly," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1605-21, September.
- Robert H. McGuckin & Sang V. Nguyen, 1995. "On Productivity and Plant Ownership Change: New Evidence from the Longitudinal Research Database," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(2), pages 257-276, Summer.
- Cosh, A. D. & Hughes, A. & Lee, K. & Singh, A., 1989. "Institutional investment, mergers and the market for corporate control," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 73-100, March.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1994.
"Market Underreaction to Open Market Share Repurchases,"
NBER Working Papers
4965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ikenberry, David & Lakonishok, Josef & Vermaelen, Theo, 1995. "Market underreaction to open market share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 181-208.
- Barla, Philippe, 2000.
"Firm size inequality and market power,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 693-722, July.
- Devra L. Golbe & Lawrence J. White, 1988. "A Time-Series Analysis of Mergers and Acquisitions in the U.S. Economy," NBER Chapters, in: Corporate Takeovers: Causes and Consequences, pages 265-310 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A Cosh & P Guest, 2001. "The Long-Run Performance of Hostile Takeovers: UK Evidence," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp215, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Rasmusen, Eric, 1988. "Entry for Buyout," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 281-99, March.
- C Conn & A Cosh & P Guest & A Hughes, 2001. "Long-Run Share Performance of UK Firms Engaging in Cross-Border Acquisitions," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp214, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Dickerson, Andrew P & Gibson, Heather D & Tsakalotos, Euclid, 1997. "The Impact of Acquisitions on Company Performance: Evidence from a Large Panel of UK Firms," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 344-61, July.
- Mark L. Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 1997.
"Managerial Decisions and Long-Term Stock Price Performance,"
CRSP working papers
453, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Mitchell, Mark L & Stafford, Erik, 2000. "Managerial Decisions and Long-Term Stock Price Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 287-329, July.
- Jenkinson, Tim & Ljungqvist, Alexander, 2001.
"The role of hostile stakes in German corporate governance,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 397-446, December.
- Tim Jenkinson & Alexander Ljungqvist, 1999. "The Role of Hostile Stakes in German Corporate Governance," OFRC Working Papers Series 1999fe02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Tim Jenkinson & Alexander Ljungqvist, 1999. "The Role of Hostile Stakes in German Corporate Governance," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-FE-02, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Linn, Scott C. & Switzer, Jeannette A., 2001. "Are cash acquisitions associated with better postcombination operating performance than stock acquisitions?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1113-1138, June.
- Kanniainen, Vesa, 2000. "Empire building by corporate managers:: the corporation as a savings instrument," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 127-142, January.
- Lev, Baruch & Mandelker, Gershon, 1972. "The Microeconomic Consequences of Corporate Mergers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 85-104, January.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993. "Can megamergers improve bank efficiency?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 423-436, April.
- Gregor Andrade & Mark Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 2001. "New Evidence and Perspectives on Mergers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 103-120, Spring.
- Salinger, Michael, 1992. "Standard Errors in Event Studies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 39-53, March.
- Erik Lehmann & Juergen Weigand, 2000. "Does the Governed Corporation Perform Better? Governance Structures and Corporate Performance in Germany," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-05, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Mandelker, Gershon, 1974. "Risk and return: The case of merging firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 303-335, December.
- Cotterill, Ronald W, 1986. "Market Power in the Retail Food Industry: Evidence from Vermont," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 379-86, August.
- Jrisy Motis, 2007. "Mergers and Acquisitions Motives," Working Papers 0730, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Hüschelrath, Kai & Smuda, Florian, 2013. "Do cartel breakdowns induce mergers? Evidence from EC cartel cases," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-036, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ajit Singh & Jack Glen & Ann Zammit & Rafael De-Hoyos & Alaka Singh & Bruce Weisse, 2005.
"Shareholder Value Maximisation, Stock Market and New Technology: Should the US Corporate Model be the Universal Standard?,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 419-437.
- Ajit Singh & Jack Glen & Ann Zammitt & Rafael De Hoyos & Alaka Singh & Bruce Weisse, 2005. "Shareholder value maximisation, stock market and new technology: should the US corporate model be the universal standard," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp315, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ajit Singh, 2002.
"Competition and competition policy in emerging markets: international and developmental dimensions,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp246, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ajit SINGH, 2002. "Competition And Competition Policy In Emerging Markets: International And Developmental Dimensions," G-24 Discussion Papers 18, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Kling, Gerhard & Weitzel, Utz, 2011. "The internationalization of Chinese companies: Firm characteristics, industry effects and corporate governance," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 357-372, September.
- Michael Böheim, 2008. "The Role of Competition Policy in the Fight against Inflation. An Overview of Possible Short-term Measures to Intensify Competition," Austrian Economic Quarterly, WIFO, vol. 13(4), pages 171-183, December.
- Kamerbeek, S.P., 2009. "Merger Performance and Efficiencies in Horizontal Merger Policy in the US and the EU," MPRA Paper 18064, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ajit Singh, 2005. "FDI, Globalisation and Economic Development - Towards Reforming National and International Rules of the Game," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp304, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ajit Singh & Ann Zammit, 2006.
"Corporate Governance, Crony Capitalism and Economic Crises: should the US business model replace the Asian way of "doing business"?,"
Corporate Governance: An International Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 220-233, 07.
- Ajit Singh & Ann Zammit, 2006. "Corporate Governance, Crony capitalism and Economic Crisis: Should the US Business Model replace the Asian Way of 'Doing Business'?," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp329, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- María González-Rodríguez & María Díaz-Fernández & Marek Pawlak & Biagio Simonetti, 2013. "Perceptions of students university of corporate social responsibility," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 2361-2377, June.
- Oliver Budzinski & Jürgen-Peter Kretschmer, 2009. "Implications of Unprofitable Horizontal Mergers: A Positive External Effect does not Suffice to Clear a Merger!," Working Papers 84/09, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- E. Cefis & M. Grondsma & A. Sabidussi & E.J.J. Schenk, 2007. "The role of innovation in merger policy: Europeâ€™s efficiency defence versus Americaâ€™s innovation markets approach. Two cases," Working Papers 07-21, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Antonios Georgopoulos & George Argyros & Giota Boura, 2008. "Which Targets Stimulate Cross-border Acquisitions? An Empirical Investigation of Industrial Organization and Trade Factors within a Competition Framework of International and Domestic Acquisition Targ," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 55-72, March.
- Josipa Visic, 2012. "Evidence of Fire-Sale M&A in European Transition Countries," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 10(4 (Winter), pages 325-340.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2013. "Estimating the degree of operating efficiency gains from a potential bank merger and acquisition: A DEA bootstrapped approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1658-1668.
- Simon deakin & Ajit Singh, 2008.
"The Stock Market, the Market for Corporate Control and the Theory of the Firm: Legal and Economic Perspectives and Implications for Public Policy,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp365, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Deakin, Simon & Singh, Ajit, 2008. "The stock market, the market for corporate control and the theory of the firm: legal and economic perspectives and implications for public policy," MPRA Paper 53792, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oliver Budzinski & Jürgen-Peter Kretschmer, 2007. "Implications of Unprofitable Horizontal Mergers: A Re-Interpretation of the Farrell-Shapiro-Framework," Marburg Working Papers on Economics 200714, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Cosnita-Langlais, Andreea, 2012. "Horizontal market concentration: Theoretical insights from spatial models," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 22-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.