Taking note of the deposit insurance fund: a plan for the FDIC to issue capital notes
AbstractIn the United States the risk that a financial breakdown could lead to a taxpayer bailout of the deposit insurance fund has been cited to justify current regulatory controls on what activities may be affiliated with banks. Despite some regulatory changes in the 1990s to protect taxpayers from future debacles, however, widespread failures could still expose taxpayers to losses. ; This article proposes a new way to monitor the deposit insurance fund by having the FDIC issue capital notes. Because the interest paid on the notes would be suspended if the fund required a loan from the Treasury or eliminated if taxpayer funds were contributed to offset deposit insurance losses, noteholders would have more incentive to clearly signal the condition of the insurance fund. This signal would help regulators, taxpayers, and their congressional representatives monitor the health of the fund and would change the incentive structure facing FDIC directors. The cost of the notes would be minimal in part because the proceeds would be used to reduce banks' existing deposit insurance obligations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Q 1 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yuk-Shee Chan & Stuart I. Greenbaum & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004.
"Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?,"
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1990. "Is Deposit Insurance Necessary? A Historical Perspective," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(02), pages 283-295, June.
- Kane, Edward J. & Kaufman, George G., 1993.
"Incentive conflict in deposit-institution regulation: evidence from Australia,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 13-29, March.
- Edward J. Kane & George G. Kaufman, 1992. "Incentive conflict in deposit-institution regulation: evidence from Australia," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation 92-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Rebecca S. Demsetz & Marc R. Saidenberg & Philip E. Strahan, 1996. "Banks with something to lose: the disciplinary role of franchise value," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 1-14.
- R. Alton Gilbert, 1990. "Market discipline of bank risk: theory and evidence," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 3-18.
- Kane, Edward J. & Min-Teh Yu, 1995. "Measuring the true profile of taxpayer losses in the S & L insurance mess," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1459-1477, November.
- Bert Ely, 1994. "Financial Innovation and Deposit Insurance: The 100 Percent Cross-Guarantee Concept," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 13(3), pages 413-445, Winter.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1994.
"Debt Maturity and the Deadweight Cost of Leverage: Optimally Financing Banking Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 320-31, March.
- Mark J. Flannery, 1991. "Debt maturity and the deadweight cost of leverage: optimally financing banking firms," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Kane, Edward J., 1995. "Three paradigms for the role of capitalization requirements in insured financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 431-459, June.
- Jones, David S. & King, Kathleen Kuester, 1995. "The implementation of prompt corrective action: An assessment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 491-510, June.
- Sally M. Davies & Douglas A. McManus, 1991. "The effects of closure policies on bank risk-taking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 158, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edward J. Kane, 1988. "Changing incentives facing financial-services regulators," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 265-279.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- George G. Kaufman, 1996. "Bank failures, systemic risk, and bank regulation," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation WP-96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Berger, Allen N. & King, Kathleen Kuester & O'Brien, James M., 1991. "The limitations of market value accounting and a more realistic alternative," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 753-783, September.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:1995:i:may:p:101-109 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas F. Cargill & Michael M. Hutchison & Takatoshi Ito, 1995. "Lessons from financial crisis: the Japanese case," Proceedings 450, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- George G. Kaufman, 1996. "Bank Failures, Systemic Risk, and Bank Regulation," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 16(1), pages 17-45, Spring/Su.
- Davies, Sally M. & McManus, Douglas A., 1991. "The effects of closure policies on bank risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 917-938, September.
- Edward J. Kane, 2001.
"Financial Safety Nets: Reconstructing and Modeling a Policymaking Metaphor,"
NBER Working Papers
8224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward Kane, 2001. "Financial safety nets: reconstructing and modelling a policymaking metaphor," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 237-273.
- Edward Kane, 2000. "Architecture of Supra-Governmental International Financial Regulation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 301-318, December.
- Lee, Wai Sing & Kwok, Chuck C. Y., 2000. "Domestic and international practice of deposit insurance: a survey," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 29-62, January.
- Kane, Edward J., 2002.
"Using deferred compensation to strengthen the ethics of financial regulation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(9), pages 1919-1933, September.
- Edward J. Kane, 2001. "Using Deferred Compensation to Strengthen the Ethicsof Financial Regulation," NBER Working Papers 8399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Eisenbeis & Larry Wall, 1998.
"Financial regulatory structure and the resolution of conflicting goals,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Larry Wall & Robert Eisenbeis, 1999. "Financial Regulatory Structure and the Resolution of Conflicting Goals," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 223-245, December.
- Larry D. Wall & Robert A. Eisenbeis, 1999. "Financial regulatory structure and the resolution of conflicting goals," Working Paper 99-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Robert A. Eisenbeis & Larry D. Wall, 2002. "Reforming deposit insurance and FDICIA," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q1, pages 1-16.
- Gillian Garcia & Henriëtte Prast, 2004.
"Depositor and investor protection in the Netherlands: past, present and future,"
DNB Occasional Studies
202, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Garcia, G.G.H. & Prast, H.M., 2004. "Depositor and investor protection in the Netherlands: Past, present and future," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4296147, Tilburg University.
- Larry D. Wall & María J. Nieto & David Mayes, 2011. "Creating an EU-level supervisor for cross-border banking groups: Issues raised by the U.S. experience with dual banking," Working Paper 2011-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Goldberg, Lawrence G. & Hudgins, Sylvia C., 2002. "Depositor discipline and changing strategies for regulating thrift institutions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 263-274, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.