Assessing the condition of Japanese banks: how informative are accounting earnings?
AbstractThis article examines the accounting and stock market performance of banks from 1991 to 1997. Overall, the results indicate that the accounting, disclosure, and regulatory practices of Japanese banks have drive a wedge between their accounting and stock market returns in recent years and, furthermore, that regulatory forbearance might have become a more important source of value to shareholders than the value of assets in place.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in its journal Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): (1998)
Issue (Month): Q IV ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1998. "Deposit insurance reform in the FDIC Improvement Act: the experience to date," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 2-20.
- Berger, Allen N, 1995.
"The Relationship between Capital and Earnings in Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 432-56, May.
- Allen Berger, 1994. "The Relationship Between Capital and Earnings in Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger, 1994. "The relationship between capital and earnings in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michael S. Gibson, 1996. "More evidence on the link between bank health and investment in Japan," International Finance Discussion Papers 549, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen B. Frankel & Paul B. Morgan, 1992. "Deregulation and competition in Japanese banking," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Aug, pages 579-593.
- Hesna Genay, 1993. "The ownership structure of Japanese financial institutions," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation 93-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Pyle, David H., 1986. "Capital regulation and deposit insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 189-201, June.
- Sheard, Paul, 1989. "The main bank system and corporate monitoring and control in Japan," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 399-422, May.
- Kane, Edward J & Unal, Haluk, 1990.
" Modeling Structural and Temporal Variation in the Market's Valuation of Banking Firms,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 113-36, March.
- Edward J. Kane & Haluk Unal, 1988. "Modeling Structural and Temporal Variation in the Market's Valuation of Banking Firms," NBER Working Papers 2693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, 04.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1997. "Collateral damage: effects of the Japanese real estate collapse on credit availability and real activity in the United States," Working Papers 97-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- John Ammer & Michael S. Gibson, 1996. "Regulation and the cost of capital in Japan: a case study," International Finance Discussion Papers 556, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kane, Edward J., 1986. "Appearance and reality in deposit insurance: The case for reform," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 175-188, June.
- Lisa K. Ashley & Elijah Brewer, III & Nancy E. Vincent, 1998. "Access to FHLBank advances and the performance of thrift institutions," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 33-52.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989.
"Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991. "Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Minton, Bernadette A., 1994. "Appointments of outsiders to Japanese boards: Determinants and implications for managers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 225-258, October.
- Berger, Allen N. & King, Kathleen Kuester & O'Brien, James M., 1991. "The limitations of market value accounting and a more realistic alternative," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 753-783, September.
- Stephen F. LeRoy, 1990. "Mutual deposit insurance," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue jun8.
- Rebecca S. Demsetz & Marc R. Saidenberg & Philip E. Strahan, 1996. "Banks with something to lose: the disciplinary role of franchise value," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 1-14.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2000.
"Enhancing Bank Transparency: A Re-assessment,"
Research Discussion Papers
10/2000, Bank of Finland.
- Hyytinen, A. & Takalo, T., 2000. "Enhancing Bank Transparency: a Re-assessment," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 492, Department of Economics.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2002. "Enchancing Bank Transparency : A Re-assessment," Discussion Papers 828, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Elijah Brewer, III & Hesna Genay & William C. Hunter & George Kaufman, 1999. "Does the Japanese stock market price bank risk? evidence from financial firm failures," Working Paper Series WP-99-31, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Cavallo, Michele & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001. "Do Banks provision for bad loans in good times? empirical evidence and policy implications," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2619, The World Bank.
- Agarwal, Sumit & Chomsisengphet, Souphala & Liu, Chunlin & Ghon Rhee, S., 2007. "Earnings management behaviors under different economic environments: Evidence from Japanese banks," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 429-443.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Larry D. Wall, 2004.
"Determinants of the Loan Loss Allowance: Some Cross-Country Comparisons,"
The Financial Review,
Eastern Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 129-152, 02.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Wall , Larry D., 2003. "Determinants of the loan loss allowance: some cross-country comparisons," Research Discussion Papers 33/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Larry D. Wall, 2004. "Determinants of the loan loss allowance: some cross-country comparisons," Finance 0404018, EconWPA.
- Elijah Brewer, III & Hesna Genay & George G. Kaufman, 2003. "Banking relationships during financial distress: the evidence from Japan," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q III, pages 2-18.
- Brewer, Elijah III & Genay, Hesna & Hunter, William Curt & Kaufman, George G., 2003. "The value of banking relationships during a financial crisis: Evidence from failures of Japanese banks," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-262, September.
- Anderson, Christopher W. & Campbell, Terry II, 2004. "Corporate governance of Japanese banks," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 327-354, June.
- Shrieves, Ronald E. & Dahl, Drew, 2003. "Discretionary accounting and the behavior of Japanese banks under financial duress," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1219-1243, July.
- Elyas Elyasiani & Iqbal Mansur, 2005. "The Association Between Market and Exchange Rate Risks and Accounting Variables: A GARCH Model of the Japanese Banking Institutions," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 183-206, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.