Depositor and investor protection in the Netherlands: past, present and future
AbstractGlobalisation and changes in financial systems across the world are causing marked changes in processes of financial regulation and supervision and are also calling into question the existing arrangements for protecting depositors and investors. This paper examines the factors prompting the changes. It first presents theoretical considerations governing supervision, regulation and protection. It continues by presenting some history of depositor protection in the European Union in the process overcoming a remarkable paucity of accessible information on the subject. It continues by presenting as much history of depositor and investor protection in the Netherlands as could be garnered from public and DNB sources. It describes instances where the present arrangements might be changed. It concludes by noting that debate in the Netherlands concerning reform is vigorous. It is hoped that this paper will contribute to that debate and will help to build a consensus on the nature of the reforms that are needed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series DNB Occasional Studies with number 202.
Date of creation: Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Garcia, G.G.H. & Prast, H.M., 2004. "Depositor and investor protection in the Netherlands: Past, present and future," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4296147, Tilburg University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joke Mooij & Henriette Prast, 2002.
"A Brief History of the Institutional Design of Banking Supervision in the Netherlands,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
703, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Joke Mooij & Henriette Prast, 2002. "A Brief History of the Institutional Design of Banking Supervision in the Netherlands," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 48, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Edda Zoli & Danyang Xie & Reza Vaez-Zadeh, 2002. "Modis," IMF Working Papers 02/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Greenbaum, Stuart I & Thakor, Anjan V, 1992.
" Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 227-45, March.
- George Pennacchi, 1999. "The Effects of Setting Deposit Insurance Premiums to Target Insurance Fund Reserves," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 153-180, December.
- Larry D. Wall, 1997. "Taking note of the deposit insurance fund: a plan for the FDIC to issue capital notes," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 1, pages 14-30.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka, 2001.
"Deposit insurance and moral hazard: does the counterfactual matter?,"
Working Paper Series
0047, European Central Bank.
- Gropp, R. & Vesala, J., 2001. "Deposit Insurance and Moral Hazard: Does the Counterfactual Matter?," Papers 47, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Pennacchi, George G., 1987. "Alternative forms of deposit insurance : Pricing and bank incentive issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 291-312, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.