Self-employment and the predicted earnings differential - evidence from Finland
AbstractUsing a large Finnish data set, the choice between self-employment and paidemployment is analysed empirically. The model used is a switching regression model with endogenous switching. The main result suggests that the predicted earnings differential between self-employment and paid employment has a positive influence on the probability of being self-employed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 13 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gill, Andrew M, 1988. "Choice of Employment Status and the Wages of Employees and the Self-employed: Some Further Evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(3), pages 229-34, July-Sept.
- Willis, Robert J & Rosen, Sherwin, 1979.
"Education and Self-Selection,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages S7-36, October.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Rees, Hedley & Shah, Anup, 1986. "An Empirical Analysis of Self-employment in the U.K," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 95-108, January.
- De Wit, Gerrit & Van Winden, Frans A. A. M., 1990.
"An empirical analysis of self-employment in the Netherlands,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 97-100, January.
- De Wit, G. & Winden, F., 1989. "An Empirical Analysis Of Self-Employment In The Netherlands," Papers 89.02, NEUHUYS - RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR SMALL AND MEDIUM.
- Blanchflower, David G., 2000.
"Self-employment in OECD countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 471-505, September.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Evans, David S, 1994. "Why Does the Self-Employment Rate Vary Across Countries and Over Time?," CEPR Discussion Papers 871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fujii, Edwin T. & Hawley, Clifford B., 1991. "Empirical aspects of self-employment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 323-329, July.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1996.
"Earnings, Independence or Unemployment: Why Become Self-Employed?,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(2), pages 253-66, May.
- Taylor, Mark P., 1994. "Earnings, independence or unemployment: why become self -employed?," ISER Working Paper Series 26, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- de Wit, Gerrit, 1993. " Models of Self-Employment in a Competitive Market," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 367-97, December.
- Dolton, Peter J & Makepeace, G H, 1990. "Self Employment among Graduates," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 35-53, January.
- Andrew Weiss, 1995. "Human Capital vs. Signalling Explanations of Wages," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 133-154, Fall.
- Carolina Castagnetti & Luisa Rosti, 2010. "The Gender Gap in Academic Achievements of Italian Graduates," Quaderni di Dipartimento 118, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- José María Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2010.
"Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness,"
Lecturas de Economía,
Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 72, pages 45-76.
- Millán, José María & Congregado, Emilio & Román, Concepción, 2010. "Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness," REVISTA LECTURAS DE ECONOMÍA, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Roope Uusitalo, 2001.
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1631-1638.
- Svaleryd, Helena, 2013.
"Self-employment and the local business cycle,"
Working Paper Series
2013:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Svaleryd, Helena, 2013. "Self-employment and the local business cycle," Working Paper Series, Center for Labor Studies 2013:9, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Svaleryd, Helena, 2013. "Self-employment and the local business cycle," Working Paper Series 2013:16, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Shadforth, Chris, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship in the UK,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship,
now publishers, vol. 3(4), pages 257-364, July.
- Jing Chen, 2008. "Wealth Constraints and Self-Employment: Evidence from Birth Order," Working Papers 0808, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Carolina Castagnetti & Luisa Rosti, 2011.
"Who skims the cream of the Italian graduate crop? Wage employment versus self-employment,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 223-234, February.
- Carolina Castagnetti & Luisa Rosti, 2009. "Who skims the cream of the Italian graduate crop? Wage-employment versus self-employment," Quaderni di Dipartimento 089, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Castagnetti, Carolina & Rosti, Luisa, 2008. "Who skims the cream of the Italian graduate crop? Wage-employment versus self-employment," MPRA Paper 13504, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Williams, Donald R., 2012.
"Gender discrimination and self-employment dynamics in Europe,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 153-158.
- Williams, Donald R., 2009. "Gender Discrimination and Self-Employment Dynamics in Europe," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-20, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Anu Tokila & Hannu Tervo, 2011. "Regional differences in returns to education for entrepreneurs versus wage earners," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 689-710, December.
- Hannu Tervo & Mika Haapanen, 2006. "Gender Differences in Self-Employment in Finnish Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa06p380, European Regional Science Association.
- Ekelund, Jesper & Johansson, Edvard & Jarvelin, Marjo-Riitta & Lichtermann, Dirk, 2005. "Self-employment and risk aversion--evidence from psychological test data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 649-659, October.
- Castagnetti, Carolina & Rosti, Luisa, 2009.
"Effort allocation in tournaments: The effect of gender on academic performance in Italian universities,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 357-369, June.
- Castagnetti, Carolina & Rosti, Luisa, 2007. "Effort allocation in tournaments: the effect of gender on academic performance in Italian universities," MPRA Paper 13441, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Jun 2008.
- Andersson Joona, Pernilla & Wadensjö, Eskil, 2006. "Employees Who Become Self-Employed: Do Labour Income and Wages Have an Impact?," IZA Discussion Papers 1971, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Edvard Johansson, 2005. "An estimate of self-employment income underreporting in Finland," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 31, pages 99-109.
- Johannes Martin, 2013. "The Impact on Earnings When Entering Self-Employment: Evidence for Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 537, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.