Resource rent taxation and benchmarking--A new perspective for the Swiss hydropower sector
AbstractThe electricity generation in Switzerland is mainly based on hydropower (55% of total production). The exploitation of water in the hydropower sector can generate significant so-called resource rents. These are defined by the surplus return above the value of capital, labor, materials, and energy used to exploit hydropower. In Switzerland, hydropower producers pay to the State a fixed fee per kW gross capacity. With this system the substantial differences in costs, revenues and in the production characteristics of the hydropower plants are not taken into account. In this context, the following paper has two main goals: (1) to discuss the introduction in the Swiss hydropower sector of a new payment system based on a resource rent tax; (2) To propose a combination of a RRT system with a benchmarking analysis of the production cost obtained through the estimation of a stochastic frontier variable cost function. We estimate a true random effects stochastic frontier variable cost function using panel data in order to overcome the asymmetric information problem. In addition, using the information on cost efficiency of the single companies, we show how to introduce in the RRT scheme a benchmark system which gives incentives to minimize the production costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Resource rent taxation Hydropower Efficiency;
Other versions of this item:
- Silvia Banfi & Massimo Filippini, 2009. "Resource Rent Taxation and Benchmarking.A New Perspective for the Swiss Hydropower Sector," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0906, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Massimo Filippini & Silvia Banfi, 2009. "Resource Rent Taxation and Benchmarking – A New Perspective for the Swiss Hydropower Sector," CEPE Working paper series 09-67, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2006.
"Cost Efficiency in Regional Bus Companies: An Application of Alternative Stochastic Frontier Models,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 40(1), pages 95-118, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2004. "Cost Efficiency in Regional Bus Companies: An Application of Alternative Stochastic Frontier Models," CEPE Working paper series 04-33, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2004.
"Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-32, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2005. "Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 69-90, 07.
- Massimo Filippini & Cornelia Luchsinger, 2007.
"Economies of scale in the Swiss hydropower sector,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(15), pages 1109-1113.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Tjotta, Sigve, 1993. "Hydroelectric rent and precipitation variability : The case of Norway," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 81-91, April.
- Ricardo, David, 1821. "On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 3, number ricardo1821.
- Banfi, Silvia & Filippini, Massimo & Mueller, Adrian, 2005. "An estimation of the Swiss hydropower rent," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 927-937, May.
- Eirik S. Amundsen & Christian Andersen & Jan Gaute Sannarnes, 1992. "Rent Taxes on Norwegian Hydropower Generation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 97-116.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Banfi, Silvia & Filippini, Massimo & Luchsinger, Cornelia, 2002. "Deregulation of the Swiss Electricity Industry: Short-Run Implications for the Hydropower Sector," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 69-77, July.
- David W. Gillen & Jean-François Wen, 2000. "Taxing Hydroelectricity in Ontario," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 26(1), pages 35-49, March.
- Battese, George E., 1992. "Frontier production functions and technical efficiency: a survey of empirical applications in agricultural economics," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 7(3-4), pages 185-208, October.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Garnaut, Ross & Clunies Ross, Anthony, 1975. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion and the Taxing of Natural Resource Projects," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(338), pages 272-87, June.
- Amundsen, Eirik S., 1997. "Gas power production, surplus concepts and the transformation of hydro electric rent into resource rent," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 241-259, August.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.