Measuring and Apportioning Rents from Hydroelectric Power Development
AbstractHydro resources are provided by nature. The exploitation of such resources can generate significant economic rent to the owners. In the past, governments have usually claimed ownership of hydroelectric resources and passed on the rents to their state-owned utilities, which have used them to expand their systems or provide lower tariffs to their consumers. With the restructuring of the electric power sector in many countries, a more explicit consideration of hydroelectric rents is required. Moreover, hydropower resources are often owned by more than one party, or at least require cooperation between parties to develop them. In this context, the measurement and apportionment of hydropower rents between cooperating parties becomes important. This paper addresses some of the issues involved in cooperative development of water resources, especially for hydroelectric generation. It promotes a better understanding of the sources of the benefits and attempts to derive an analytical basis for discussions between cooperating parties.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Bank in its series World Bank - Discussion Papers with number 419.
Length: 49 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
ENERGY ; ELECTRICITY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shrestha, Ram M. & Abeygunawardana, A.M.A.K., 2009. "Evaluation of economic rent of hydropower projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1886-1897, May.
- Banfi, Silvia & Filippini, Massimo & Mueller, Adrian, 2005. "An estimation of the Swiss hydropower rent," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 927-937, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.