Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland
AbstractThis paper explores the cost structure of Swiss hospitals, focusing on differences due to teaching activities and those across different ownership and subsidization types. A stochastic total cost frontier with a Cobb-Douglas functional form has been estimated for a panel of 150 general hospitals over the six-year period from 1998 and 2003. Inpatient cases adjusted by DRG cost weights and ambulatory revenues are considered as two separate outputs. The adopted econometric specification allows for unobserved heterogeneity across hospitals. The results indicate that the time-invariant unobserved factors could account for considerable cost differences that could be only partly due to inefficiency. The results suggest that teaching activities are an important cost driving factor and hospitals that have a broader range of specialization are relatively more costly. The excess costs of university hospitals can be explained by more extensive teaching activities as well as the relatively high quality of medical units. However, even after controlling for such differences university hospitals have shown a relatively low cost-efficiency especially in the first two or three years of the sample period. The analysis does not provide any evidence of significant efficiency differences across ownership and subsidization categories.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by USI Università della Svizzera italiana in its series Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano with number 0606.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: https://www.bul.sbu.usi.ch
general hospitals; teaching hospitals; stochastic frontier; cost efficiency;
Other versions of this item:
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008. "Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 335-350.
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2006-09-03 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HEA-2006-09-03 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heshmati, Almas, 2002. "Productivity measurement in Swedish departments of gynecology and obstetrics," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 315-336, September.
- Massimo Filippini & Diego Lunati & Luca Crivelli, 2001. "Dimensione ottima degli ospedali in uno Stato federale," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2001(5).
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Polachek, Solomon W & Yoon, Bong Joon, 1996. "Panel Estimates of a Two-Tiered Earnings Frontier," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 169-78, March-Apr.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Cost Efficiency in Non-profit and Public Nursing Homes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(3), pages 339-365, 09.
- H. Shelton Brown, 2003. "Managed care and technical efficiency," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 149-158.
- Donald F. Vitaliano & Mark Toren, 1996. "Hospital Cost and Efficiency in a Regime of Stringent Regulation," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-175, Spring.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2006. "An Analysis of Efficiency and Productivity in Swiss Hospitals," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(I), pages 1-37, March.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Tong Li & Robert Rosenman, 2001. "Estimating hospital costs with a generalized Leontief function," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 523-538.
- Sherman T. Folland & Richard A. Hofler, 2001. "How reliable are hospital efficiency estimates? Exploiting the dual to homothetic production," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(8), pages 683-698.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Kim, H Youn, 1987. "Economies of Scale in Multi-product Firms: An Empirical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(214), pages 185-206, May.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Uwe Jensen, 2000. "Is it efficient to analyse efficiency rankings?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 189-208.
- Hadley, Jack & Zuckerman, Stephen, 1994. "The role of efficiency measurement in hospital rate setting," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 335-340, October.
- Zuckerman, Stephen & Hadley, Jack & Iezzoni, Lisa, 1994. "Measuring hospital efficiency with frontier cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 255-280, October.
- Quinn Weninger, 2003.
"Estimating multiproduct costs when some outputs are not produced,"
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 753-765, November.
- Weninger, Quinn, 2003. "Estimating Multiproduct Costs when Some Outputs Are Not Produced," Staff General Research Papers 10830, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2002. "Confidence Statements for Efficiency Estimates from Stochastic Frontier Models," Econometrics 0206006, EconWPA.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2004.
"Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-32, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2005. "Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 69-90, 07.
- Sickles, Robin C., 2005. "Panel estimators and the identification of firm-specific efficiency levels in parametric, semiparametric and nonparametric settings," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 305-334, June.
- Miika Linna, 1998. "Measuring hospital cost efficiency with panel data models," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(5), pages 415-427.
- Satbir Singh & Tim Coelli & Euan Fleming, 2001. "Performance of Dairy Plants in the Cooperative and Private Sectors in India," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(4), pages 453-479, December.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
- Dranove, David, 1998. "Economies of scale in non-revenue producing cost centers: Implications for hospital mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, January.
- Skinner, Jonathan, 1994. "What do stochastic frontier cost functions tell us about inefficiency?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 323-328, October.
- Silk Alvin J. & Berndt Ernst R., 2004. "Holding Company Cost Economies in the Global Advertising and Marketing Services Business," Review of Marketing Science, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-51, June.
- Adam Wagstaff & Guillem Lopez, 1996. "Hospital costs in Catalonia: a stochastic frontier analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(7), pages 471-474.
- Michael D. Rosko, 2001. "Cost efficiency of US hospitals: a stochastic frontier approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 539-551.
- Griffin, Ronald C. & Montgomery, John M. & Rister, M. Edward, 1987. "Selecting Functional Form In Production Function Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Rowena Jacobs & Diane Dawson, 2003. "Hospital efficiency targets," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(8), pages 669-684.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1991. "Estimation of technical inefficiency in panel data models with firm- and time-specific effects," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 43-48, May.
- Vassilis H. Aletras, 1999. "A comparison of hospital scale effects in short-run and long-run cost functions," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 521-530.
- Andrew Street, 2003. "How much confidence should we place in efficiency estimates?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(11), pages 895-907.
- Pedro Barros & Sara Machado, 2010. "Money for nothing?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 234-255, September.
- Heimeshoff, Mareike & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2013. "Estimation of a physician practice cost function," hche Research Papers 2013/07, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Zeynep Or & Thomas Renaud & Laure Com-Ruelle, 2009. "One price for all? Sources of cost variations between public and private hospitals," Working Papers DT25, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised May 2009.
- Helmut Herwartz & Christoph Strumann, 2012. "On the effect of prospective payment on local hospital competition in Germany," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 48-62, March.
- Mehdi Farsi, 2008. "The temporal variation of cost-efficiency in Switzerland’s hospitals: an application of mixed models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 155-168, October.
- Annika Herr, 2008. "Cost and technical efficiency of German hospitals: does ownership matter?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(9), pages 1057-1071.
- Philippe K. Widmer & Peter Zweifel & Mehdi Farsi, 2011.
"Accounting for heterogeneity in the measurement of hospital performance,"
ECON - Working Papers
052, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Philippe K Widmer & Peter Zweifel & Mehdi Farsi, 2010. "Accounting For Heterogeneity In The Measurement of Hospital Performance," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 10-21, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Piacenza, Massimiliano & Turati, Gilberto & Vannoni, Davide, 2010. "Restructuring hospital industry to control public health care expenditure: The role of input substitutability," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 881-890, July.
- Liu, Gordon G. & Li, Lin & Hou, Xiaohui & Xu, Judy & Hyslop, Daniel, 2009. "The role of for-profit hospitals in medical expenditures: Evidence from aggregate data in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 625-633, December.
- Medhi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Diego Lunati, 2008.
"Economies of scale and efficiency measurement in Switzerland's Nursing homes,"
Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano
0801, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Diego Lunati, 2008. "Economies of Scale and Efficiency Measurement in Switzerland's Nursing Homes," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(III), pages 359-378, September.
- Vincenzo Atella & Federico Belotti & Silvio Daidone & Giuseppe Ilardi & Giorgia Marini, 2012. "Cost-containment policies and hospital efficiency: evidence from a panel of Italian hospitals," CEIS Research Paper 228, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 13 Apr 2012.
- John Buckell & Andrew Smith & Roberta Longo & David Holland, 2013. "Health inefficiency and unobservable heterogeneity - empirical evidence from pathology services in the UK National Health Service," Working Papers 1307, Academic Unit of Health Economics, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessio Tutino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.