Hospital costs in Catalonia: a stochastic frontier analysis
AbstractA multiproduct stochastic hospital cost frontier is estimated on panel data for 43 Catalan hospitals over the period 1988-91 on the assumption that inefficiency remains constant over time. In addition to reporting estimates of inefficiency, the paper reports estimates of economies of scope and economies of scale.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 3 (1996)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael D. Rosko, 2001. "Cost efficiency of US hospitals: a stochastic frontier approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 539-551.
- Guillem López-Casasnovas & Marc Saez, 1999. "The impact of teaching status on average costs in Spanish hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(7), pages 641-651.
- García Prieto, C., 2003. "La ineficiencia en costes de los hospitales del Insalud:un estudio detallado / Cost inefficiency in spanish public hospitals: A detailled stydy," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 21, pages 467-484, December.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008.
"Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 335-350.
- Medhi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2006. "Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0606, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Troels Kristensen & Peter Bogetoft & Kjeld Pedersen, 2010. "Potential gains from hospital mergers in Denmark," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 334-345, December.
- Lindelow, Magnus & Wagstaff, Adam, 2003. "Health facility surveys : an introduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2953, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2009. "Serbia - Baseline Survey on Cost and Efficiency in Primary Health Care Centers Before Provider Payment Reforms," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3036, The World Bank.
- Guillem López & Marc Sáez, 1998. "Finance versus costs for teaching hospitals in Spain," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 265, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Guillem López & Marc Sáez, 1998. "Finance versus costs for teaching hospitals in Spain," Economics Working Papers 265, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/5426 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sherman T. Folland & Richard A. Hofler, 2001. "How reliable are hospital efficiency estimates? Exploiting the dual to homothetic production," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(8), pages 683-698.
- Kristensen, Troels & Olsen, Kim Rose & Kilsmark, Jannie & Lauridsen, Jørgen T. & Pedersen, Kjeld Møller, 2012. "Economies of scale and scope in the Danish hospital sector prior to radical restructuring plans," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 120-126.
- Brigitte Dormont & Carine Milcent, 2004.
"The sources of hospital cost variability,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 927-939.
- Mehdi Farsi, 2008. "The temporal variation of cost-efficiency in Switzerland’s hospitals: an application of mixed models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 155-168, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.