Relative Efficiency, Scale Effect, and Scope Effect of Public Hospitals: Evidence from Australia
AbstractUsing the 1997-1998 New South Wales public-hospitals comparison data, we investigate the hospital-level inefficiency by applying a stochastic-frontier multiproduct cost function. We use a flexible translog cost function to reduce the measurement errors of the outputs of the hospital. The main findings are: First, inefficiency accounts for 9.3% of total hospital costs in large hospitals and 11.3% in small hospitals, when including complexity indicators. Second, diseconomies of scale exist in very large hospitals, whereas scale economies appear in very small hospitals. Third, scope effects are found in both large and small hospitals. Fourth, small hospitals are more labor-intensive than large hospitals are.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 2520.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-01-06 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2007-01-06 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HEA-2007-01-06 (Health Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2007-01-06 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wagstaff, Adam & Barnum, Howard, 1992. "Hospital cost functions for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 1044, The World Bank.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Dor, Avi & Farley, Dean E., 1996. "Payment source and the cost of hospital care: Evidence from a multiproduct cost function with multiple payers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Anthony Scott & David Parkin, 1995. "Investigating hospital efficiency in the new NHS: The role of the translog cost function," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(6), pages 467-478, November.
- Randall Randall P. Ellis, 1991. "Hospital Cost Function Estimation When Firms May Not Try to Minimize Total Costs," Papers, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme 0029, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
- C. L. Chua & Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2009.
"Hospital Competition, Technical Efficiency, and Quality,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne
wp2009n16, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Chew Lian Chua & Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2011. "Hospital Competition, Technical Efficiency and Quality," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(277), pages 252-268, 06.
- Simões, Pedro & Cunha Marques, Rui, 2009. "Performance and Congestion Analysis of the Portuguese Hospital Services," MPRA Paper 16940, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.