Panel Estimates of a Two-Tiered Earnings Frontier
AbstractThis paper uses panel data to estimate a two-tiered instead of a one-tiered frontier model. The innovation is to develop a two-step maximum likelihood procedure yielding consistent estimates of inefficiency, while at the same time accounting for heterogeneity. The model is applied by estimating a 'two-tiered' earnings function to obtain indices of worker and firm incomplete labour market wage information using panel data from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (1969-84). The estimation preserves the traditional quadratic age-earnings profile, but measures the extent to which employers often pay more than necessary to hire a worker (incomplete employer information), while at the same time, employees often accept wages less than they could otherwise command (incomplete employee information). The results indicate that employees acquire less information than employers. Copyright 1996 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (March-April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008.
"Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 335-350.
- Medhi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2006. "Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0606, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Polachek, Solomon, 2003.
"Mincer's Overtaking Point and the Lifecycle Earnings Distribution,"
IZA Discussion Papers
865, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Solomon Polachek, 2003. "Mincer's Overtaking Point and the Life Cycle Earnings Distribution," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 273-304, December.
- Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2012. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stochastic frontier models by the Fourier transform," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 234-248.
- Polachek, Solomon & Xiang, Jun, 2005. "The Effects of Incomplete Employee Wage Information: A Cross-Country Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 1735, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Massimo Filippini & Lin Zhang, 2013. "Measurement of the “Underlying energy efficiency” in Chinese provinces," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 13/183, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008.
"An Analysis of Cost-Efficiency in Swiss Multi-utilities,"
CEPE Working paper series
08-60, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini, Massimo, 2009. "An analysis of cost efficiency in Swiss multi-utilities," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 306-315, March.
- Per J. Agrell & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Martin Koller, 2013.
"Unobserved heterogeneous effects in the cost efficiency analysis of electricity distribution systems,"
0038, Swiss Economics.
- AGRELL, Per & FARSI, Mehdi & FILIPPINI, Massimo & KOLLER, Martin, 2013. "Unobserved heterogeneous effects in the cost efficiency analysis of electricity distribution systems," CORE Discussion Papers 2013003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Per J. Agrell & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Martin Koller, 2013. "Unobserved heterogeneous effects in the cost efficiency analysis of electricity distribution systems," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 13/171, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Pedro Harmath & Josefa Ramoni, 2012. "Stocasthic frontiers and wage inefficiency in Venezuela," Economía, Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales (IIES). Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales. Universidad de Los Andes. Mérida, Venezuela, vol. 37(33), pages 107-142, January-j.
- William Greene, 2004.
"Distinguishing between heterogeneity and inefficiency: stochastic frontier analysis of the World Health Organization's panel data on national health care systems,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 959-980.
- William Greene, 2003. "Distinguishing Between Heterogeneity and Inefficiency: Stochastic Frontier Analysis of the World Health Organization’s Panel Data on National Health Care Systems," Working Papers 03-10, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Constantin Ogloblin & Gregory Brock, 2006. "Wage Determination in Rural Russia: A Stochastic Frontier Model," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 315-326.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- Guenter Lang, 2004. "How Different are Wages from Wage Potentials? - Analyzing the earnings disadvantage of immigrants in Germany," Discussion Paper Series 256, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Christopher Parmeter, 2009. "The effects of match uncertainty and bargaining on labor market outcomes: evidence from firm and worker specific estimates," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Günter Lang, 2005. "The difference between wages and wage potentials: Earnings disadvantages of immigrants in Germany," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 21-42, April.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2005. "Application of Panel Data Models in Benchmarking Analysis of the Electrivity Distribution Sector," CEPE Working paper series 05-39, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Aurelio Fetz & Massimo Filippini, 2007. "Benchmarking and Regulation in the Electricity Distribution Sector," CEPE Working paper series 07-54, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Christopher Parmeter, 2010. "Estimation of hedonic price functions with incomplete information," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 1-25, August.
- John Robst & Kimmarie McGOLDRICK, 1999. "The Measurement of Firm Information About Product Demand," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 149-163, September.
- Vera A. Adamchik & Josef C. Brada & Arthur E. King, 2009. "Are Transition Economy Workers Underpaid?," Working Papers 278, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.