Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies
AbstractThe persistence of increasingly high government subsidies in Switzerland’s railroads has led the federal and cantonal authorities to discussing the possibility of high-powered incentive contracts such as those based on cost efficiency benchmarking. Railways are however, characterized by a high degree of unobserved heterogeneity that could bias the efficiency estimates. This paper examines the performance of several panel data models to measure cost efficiency in network industries. The unobserved firm-specific effects and the resulting biases are studied through a comparative study of several stochastic frontier models, applied to a panel of 50 railway companies operating over a 13-year period. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
cost efficiency; incentive regulation; railroads; scale economies;
Other versions of this item:
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2004. "Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies," CEPE Working paper series 04-32, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banos-Pino, Jose & Fernandez-Blanco, Victor & Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana, 2002. "The allocative efficiency measure by means of a distance function: The case of Spanish public railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 191-205, February.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Mancuso, Paolo & Reverberi, Pierfrancesco, 2003. "Operating costs and market organization in railway services. The case of Italy, 1980-1995," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 43-61, January.
- Antonio Álvarez & Carlos Arias & William Greene, 2004.
"Accounting for unobservables in production models:management and inefficiency,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2004/72, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Bill Greene with Antonio Alvarez (Univ. of Oviedo) & Carlos Arias (Univ. of Leon), 2004. "Accounting For Unobservables In Production Models: Management And Inefficiency," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 341, Econometric Society.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2002.
"What Does "Privatization" Do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina's and Brazil's Railways,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1885-1897, November.
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002. "What Does Privatization Do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina's and Brazil's Railways," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43980, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Massimo Filippini & Paola Prioni, 2003. "The influence of ownership on the cost of bus service provision in Switzerland - an empirical illustration," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 683-690.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2004.
"Cost Efficiency in Regional Bus Companies: An Application of Alternative Stochastic Frontier Models,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-33, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2006. "Cost Efficiency in Regional Bus Companies: An Application of Alternative Stochastic Frontier Models," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 40(1), pages 95-118, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- Hsiao,Cheng, 2003.
"Analysis of Panel Data,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521818551, November.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Pedro Cantos & José Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 1999. "Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the European railways: A non-parametric approach," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 337-357, November.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2003. "Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521666633, November.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Filippini, Massimo & Maggi, Rico, 1993. "Efficiency and Regulation in the Case of the Swiss Private Railways," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 199-216, June.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Jara-Díaz, Sergio R. & Basso, Leonardo J., 2003. "Transport cost functions, network expansion and economies of scope," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 271-288, July.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.