New approach for the assignment of new European agricultural subsidies using scores from data envelopment analysis: Application to olive-growing farms in Andalusia (Spain)
AbstractMore than 60% of olive-growing farms in Andalusia (Spain) would have negative returns without European agricultural subsidies. Agenda 2000 criteria imply that agricultural subsidies currently play the role of enhancing the production quality and the environmental and social values of agriculture. Although the necessity of the modulation of subsidies is stated, the EU regulations do not state which objective criteria should be used or how they should be measured, despite the fact that regulations demand objectivity in this measurement. This paper proposes an allocation system for subsidies which takes the Agenda 2000 criteria into account through their assignment according to Farm Efficiency which is calculated by decomposing overall DEA Scores, by means of internalizing the positive and negative externalities of agricultural activity. The paper analyzes the Type Efficiency of the Andalusian olive-growing sector by using the proposed indexes over a sample of 3000 real farms, taken from the administrative subsidy database.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 193 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data envelopment analysis OR in government Olive-growing European Union Common Agricultural Policy Subsidy assignment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karkazis, John & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 1998. "Assessing the effectiveness of regional development policies in Northern Greece using data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 123-137, June.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2001. "Decomposing school and school-type efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 357-373, July.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien C. Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2003. "On the choice of functional form in stochastic frontier modeling," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 75-100, January.
- Emmanuel Thanassoulis & Maria Da Conceicao & A. Silva Portela, 2002. "School Outcomes: Sharing the Responsibility Between Pupil and School1," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 183-207.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Hasebe, Tadashi & Ito, Fusao & Sakai, Junichi & Ozawa, Wataru, 1998. "DEA-Bilateral Performance Comparison: an Application to Japan Agricultural Co-operatives (Nokyo)," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 233-248, April.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2001. "Technical efficiency of alternative farming systems: the case of Greek organic and conventional olive-growing farms," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 549-569, December.
- Dimara, Efthalia & Pantzios, Christos J. & Skuras, Dimitris & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2005. "The impacts of regulated notions of quality on farm efficiency: A DEA application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 416-431, March.
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Mercedes Beltrán-Esteve & José A. Gómez-Limón & Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo & Ernest Reig-Martínez, 2012.
"A metafrontier directional distance function approach to assessing eco-efficiency,"
1206, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Mercedes Beltrán-Esteve & José Gómez-Limón & Andrés Picazo-Tadeo & Ernest Reig-Martínez, 2014. "A metafrontier directional distance function approach to assessing eco-efficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 69-83, February.
- BeltrÃ¡n-Esteve, Mercedes, 2013. "Assessing technical efficiency in traditional olive grove systems: a directional metadistance function approach," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 13(2).
- Carravilla, M. A. & Oliveira, J. F., 2013. "Operations Research in Agriculture: Better Decisions for a Scarce and Uncertain World," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 5(2), June.
- Dios-Palomares, Rafaela & Martínez-Paz, José M., 2011. "Technical, quality and environmental efficiency of the olive oil industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 526-534, August.
- Picazo-Tadeo, Andrés J. & Beltrán-Esteve, Mercedes & Gómez-Limón, José A., 2012.
"Assessing eco-efficiency with directional distance functions,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 798-809.
- Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo & Mercedes Beltrán-Esteve & José A. Gómez-Limón, 2011. "Assessing eco-efficiency with directional distance functions," Working Papers 1110, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.