Regional Disparities Of Agricultural Performance In Romania
AbstractThe accession to the European Union has opened new challenges for Romanianagriculture, which must implement the principles of the Common Agricultural Policy. These principlesaim at achieving high performance agriculture, capable to ensure food security for the population andto adequately develop the rural area. The paper intends to analyse the performance of Romanianagriculture in relation to the agriculture in the European Union and to highlight the recorded regionaldisparities in order to fully exploit the potential of agriculture. Data Envelopment Analysis is the usedmethod, which provides information for the relative assessment of performance in relation to thedecision-making units, considered a gauge. The results of the analysis show the poor performance ofagriculture in Romania, and the efficiency recorded at the level of the development regions varies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia in its journal Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
agriculture; Data Envelopment Analysis; sustainable performance; efficiency frontier; developingregions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N50 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - General, International, or Comparative
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehrmann, Markus & Kleinhanß, Werner, 2008. "Review of concepts for the evaluation of sustainable agriculture in Germany and comparison of measurement schemes for farm sustainability," Arbeitsberichte aus der vTI-AgrarÃ¶konomie 14/2008, Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Sarkis, Joseph, 2000. "A comparative analysis of DEA as a discrete alternative multiple criteria decision tool," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 123(3), pages 543-557, June.
- Laure Latruffe & Kelvin Balcombe & Sophia Davidova & Katarzyna Zawalinska, 2004. "Determinants of technical efficiency of crop and livestock farms in Poland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(12), pages 1255-1263.
- Fogarasi, Jozsef & Latruffe, Laure, 2007. "Technical efficiency and technology in Eastern and Western agriculture: A comparison of crop and dairy farms in Hungary and France," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7810, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1032 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1027 is not listed on IDEAS
- Derek Byerlee & Alain de Janvry & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 2009. "Agriculture for Development: Toward a New Paradigm," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 15-31, 09.
- Derek Headey & Mohammad Alauddin & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2010. "Explaining agricultural productivity growth: an international perspective," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(1), pages 1-14, 01.
- E Thanassoulis & M Kortelainen & G Johnes & J Johnes, 2009. "Costs and Efficiency of Higher Education Institutions in England: A DEA Analysis," Working Papers 598827, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan-Constantin Danuletiu).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.