Data Envelopment Analysis for Performance Evaluation: A Child’s Guide
AbstractIn this paper we offer a simple exposition of the neoclassical production theoretic foundations of Data Envelopment Analysis. The concepts of technical efficiency (both input- and output-oriented), scale efficiency, and cost efficiency are explained and the corresponding DEA models are described in details. We offer step-by-step instruction on how to write the codes for solving the various DEA models using the Solver option in the widely accessible MS Excel software. An important feature of this paper is a detailed exposition of how to write various Visual Basic Macro programs for solving DEA problems. We also describe the non-convex Free Disposal Hull (FDH) procedure and the secondstage regression analysis that seeks to account for variation in measured efficiency scores due to external factors.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its journal Indian Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 45 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007
Phone: 91-11-2766-6533/34/35, 2766-6703/04/05
Web page: http://www.ierdse.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Subhash C. Ray & Lei Chen, 2009. "Data Envelopment Analysis for Performance Evaluation: A Child's Guide," Working papers 2009-38, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
- D02 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Institutions: Design, Formation, and Operations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521802567 is not listed on IDEAS
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pami Dua).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.