Technical efficiency and technology in Eastern and Western agriculture: A comparison of crop and dairy farms in Hungary and France
AbstractThe paper investigates the difference in technical efficiency and technology between French and Hungarian farms in dairy and cereal, oilseed and protein seed (COP) sectors during 2001-2004. The analyses is performed with Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) under separate and common frontiers. Results indicate that Hungarian dairy farmers are more clustered to their own frontier than French farms are, but that the difference is less clear in COP farming. Hungarian dairy and COP farms are less scale efficient than French farms on average. Under a common hypothetical technology, Hungarian farms would be the leaders. Reasons might be the presence of large corporate farms and a higher public support in Hungary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary with number 7810.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
technical efficiency; productivity factor; dairy; COP; France; Hungary; Farm Management;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernhard Br�mmer & Thomas Glauben & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Decomposition of Productivity Growth Using Distance Functions: The Case of Dairy Farms in Three European Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 628-644.
- Alfons Oude Lansink & Ky–sti Pietola, 2002. "Effciency and productivity of conventional and organic farms in Finland 1994--1997," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 51-66, March.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltán & Ferto, Imre & Fogarasi, József, 2009. "Investment and financial constraints in Hungarian agriculture," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(3), pages 122-124, September.
- Vasile Burja, 2011. "Regional Disparities Of Agricultural Performance In Romania," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(13), pages 12.
- Fekete-Farkas, Maria & Szucs, Istvan & Varga, Tibor, 2012. "Technological progress and efficiency change In Hungarian Agriculture," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126120, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.