Explaining agricultural productivity growth: an international perspective
AbstractThis article presents multi-output, multi-input total factor productivity (TFP) growth rates in agriculture for 88 countries over the 1970-2001 period, estimated with both stochastic frontier analysis (SFA) and the more commonly employed data envelopment analysis (DEA). We find results with SFA to be more plausible than with DEA, and use them to analyze trends across countries and the determinants of TFP growth in developing countries. The central finding is that policy and institutional variables, including public agricultural expenditure and proagricultural price policy reforms, are significant correlates of TFP growth. The most significant geographic correlate of TFP growth is distance to the nearest OECD country. Copyright (c) 2010 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Indra Nurcahyo Sjarif & Koji Kotani & Ching-Yang Lin, 2011. "Exports and economic growth in Indonesia's fishery sub-sector: Cointegration and error-correction models," Working Papers EMS_2011_16, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Chris Ross, 2011. "A Detailed Analysis of the Productivity Performance of the Canadian Food Manufacturing Subsector," CSLS Research Reports 2011-07, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Karanja, Francis & Gilmour, Daniel & Fraser, Iain, 2012. "Dairy productivity growth, efficiency change and technological progress in Victoria," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 125053, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Butzer, Rita & Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F., 2010. "Measures of fixed capital in agriculture," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5472, The World Bank.
- Mendali, Rebati & Gunter, Lewell F., . "Impact of Agricultural Productivity Changes on Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143073, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Bezemer, Dirk & Headey, Derek, 2008.
"Agriculture, Development, and Urban Bias,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1342-1364, August.
- Allen, Summer L. & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Agricultural productivity and public expenditures in sub-saharan africa:," IFPRI discussion papers 1173, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Allen, Summer L. & Badiane, Ousmane & Ulimwengu, John M., 2012.
"Government Expenditures, Social Outcomes, and Marginal Productivity of Agricultural Inputs: A Case Study for Tanzania,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126663, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Allen, Summer L. & Badiane, Ousmane & Ulimwengu, John M., 2012. "Government expenditures, social outcomes, and marginal productivity of agricultural inputs: a case study for Tanzania," IFPRI discussion papers 1172, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Vasile Burja, 2011. "Regional Disparities Of Agricultural Performance In Romania," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(13), pages 12.
- Olusegun, Ajetomobi Joshua, 2012. "Productivity Growth of ECOWAS Common Crops: A Tale of Two Competing Frontier Methods of Analysis," 2012 Eighth AFMA Congress, November 25-29, 2012, Nairobi, Kenya 159404, African Farm Management Association (AFMA).
- Nawrocka, Agnieszka Baer & Sapa, Agnieszka, 2013. "Agricultural Labour Productivity and the Intensity of Agri-food Trade in Selected Regional Trade Agreements," Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain 152381, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Ricardo de Avillez, 2011. "A Detailed Analysis of the Productivity Performance of the Canadian Primary Agriculture Sector," CSLS Research Reports 2011-06, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.