School Outcomes: Sharing the Responsibility Between Pupil and School1
AbstractThis paper uses a Data Envelopment Analysis based approach to decompose pupil under-attainment into that attributable to the school the pupil attends and that attributable to the pupil. The approach measures pupil attainment in terms of value added. Data on over 6700 A-level pupils from 122 English schools have been analysed. The results suggest that at current levels of school effectiveness a pupil's own application accounts for the major part of any under-attainment, though schools also have scope to improve their effectiveness.The approach also makes it possible to identify target attainment levels a pupil could be set and the extent to which the attainment of those targets necessitates an improvement in the effectiveness of the school the pupil attends and in the pupil's own efforts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Education Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Smith, Peter & Mayston, David, 1987. "Measuring efficiency in the public sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 181-189.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2001. "Decomposing school and school-type efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 357-373, July.
- A. Bessent & W. Bessent & J. Kennington & B. Reagan, 1982. "An Application of Mathematical Programming to Assess Productivity in the Houston Independent School District," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(12), pages 1355-1367, December.
- Dusansky, Richard & Wilson, Paul W, 1994. "Technical Efficiency in the Decentralized Care of the Developmentally Disabled," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 340-45, May.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Kristof DE WITTE & Mika KORTELAINEN, 2008.
"Blaming the exogenous environment? Conditional efficiency estimation with continuous and discrete environmental variables,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0833, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- De Witte, Kristof & Kortelainen, Mika, 2008. "Blaming the exogenous environment? Conditional efficiency estimation with continuous and discrete environmental variables," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/211063, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- De Witte, Kristof & Mika, Kortelainen, 2009. "Blaming the exogenous environment? Conditional efficiency estimation with continuous and discrete exogenous variables," MPRA Paper 14034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amores, Antonio F. & Contreras, Ignacio, 2009. "New approach for the assignment of new European agricultural subsidies using scores from data envelopment analysis: Application to olive-growing farms in Andalusia (Spain)," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(3), pages 718-729, March.
- Daniel Santín, 2006. "Measuring technical efficiency in schools: a critic revision," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 177(2), pages 57-82, April.
- Rogge, Nicky & Van Reeth, Daam & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2012. "Performance evaluation of Tour de France cycling teams using Data Envelopment Analysis," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/409336, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.