Exchange Rate Regime And Monetary Policy Independence In East Asia
AbstractThis paper investigates whether the choice of exchange rate regimes influences the sensitivity of domestic interest rates to international interest rates. We empirically analyse this issue in the context of East Asian economies by employing a regime switching model. We find that the sensitivity of local interest rates to international interest rates declined in Korea and Thailand after they adopted floating exchange rate regimes. We also find that Japan, with a floating exchange regime, has greater independence in monetary policy than a pegged economy such as Hong Kong. These empirical findings suggest that exchange rate flexibility provides greater monetary independence. Copyright 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Pacific Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 13 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1361-374X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Sengupta, Rajeswari, 2011.
"The financial trilemma in China and a comparative analysis with India,"
39798, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Jul 2012.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Sengupta, Rajeswari, 2012. "The Financial Trilemma in China and a Comparative Analysis with India," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2xn3238g, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Sengupta, Rajeswari, 2011. "The financial trilemma in China and a comparative analysis with India," MPRA Paper 34485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hiroyuki Taguchi & Geethanjali Nataraj & Pravakar Sahoo, 2010. "Monetary Autonomy in Select Asian Economies : Role of International Reserves," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23116, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- J. James Reade & Ulrich Volz, 2009.
"Leader of the Pack? German Monetary Dominance in Europe Prior to EMU,"
Economics Series Working Papers
419, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Reade, J. James & Volz, Ulrich, 2011. "Leader of the pack? German monetary dominance in Europe prior to EMU," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 239-250.
- Reade, J. James & Volz, Ulrich, 2011. "Leader of the pack? German monetary dominance in Europe prior to EMU," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 239-250, January.
- Ghosh, Amit & Ghosh, Ramya, 2012.
"Capital Controls, Exchange Rate Regime and Monetary Policy Independence in India,"
Department of Economics Working Paper Series
2012-17, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University.
- Amit Ghosh & Ramya Ghosh, 2012. "Capital controls, exchange rate regime and monetary policy independence in India," International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(3), pages 212-230.
- Naoyuki Yoshino & Sahoko Kaji & Tamon Asonuma, 2011. "Dynamic Effect of Change in Exchange Rate System -From the Fixed Exchange Rate Regime to the Basket-peg or Floating Regime," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2011-026, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.